.243/.223 New Setup

hi all,

I put in for my variation to get a ,223 for foxes and the ,243 for fox and deer, The FLO came and did the usual bits with the license bits and said that the ,223 wasn't going to be a problem but the .243 might be as I haven't got land of my own that has deer on it,

So I asked if I could have the ,243 with just fox to start and then add the deer when either I get land with deer on or I have more kills when I got on paid days or through a friend of mine that I go stalking with. Once he had spoken to my friend and he seemed to be more happy to give me the .243 with fox to start than when he left me.

Which brings me on to the real question, is the rifle and setup to look for.

Ive been looking around and seen a few I like the look of and that are in my price range. They are the Remington 770, which is on Guntrader for £420 with a Bushnell scope 3-9x40 and mod.

There is also the Howa 1500 with the full setup of bipod, mod and scope Nikko Sterling 3-9x56 i believe it is, that Packard from the local RFD is £995 with basic blued barrel.

The most expensive combo I've seen and like is the Tikka T3 lite comes with mod, bipod and a scope Burris 4-9x50 i think it is and that's on Guntrader for £1595.

What do you guys think? any good? any other combos worth looking at??

Also thinking of maybe go for the Remington as its cheapest and then go for a Steiner scope i've seen on Uttings for £799.

I believe I should be looking for new as then I know the life of the barrel and surely a rifle is like any other if it shoots straight, Its the optics that make it effective at low light and long range, right???

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would be unusual to have the rifle conditioned for fox only nowadays, both .223 and .243, I think you will find an all other legal quarry condition will apply, which of course means you are free to

Insist on speaking to your FEO too, the admin that answered the phone for Lincs f****d me off with;   "I'm not allowed to give any information regarding what land is passed for, it's against data pr

You don't have to have deer on your land....you don't even need any land of your own to shoot on to get a rifle for deer   Tell them your going paid stalking   I would pass on the Remington packag

Posted Images

You don't have to have deer on your land....you don't even need any land of your own to shoot on to get a rifle for deer

Tell them your going paid stalking

I would pass on the Remington package Howa package you wont go wrong with....everything you need

• Like 2

You don't have to have deer on your land....you don't even need any land of your own to shoot on to get a rifle for deer

I would pass on the Remington package Howa package you wont go wrong with....everything you need

He would still need to back that up with proof from a supplier that he had bookings for paid stalking.

I agree with Charlie on the condition being unusual. However, you need to check what's written before shooting any deer!.

If you're a member, I would speak to the BASC Firearms Team as I'm struggling to see why you need to prove you have deer on your land.

If you needed deer to get the calibre granted that would be one thing, but as they're willing to grant the rifle in any event, it defies logic that they wouldn't give you permission for deer or ALOQ on it given that it's a deer legal calibre. Plus your friend has confirmed an invitation for deer shooting.

It almost says they don't trust you to shoot deer, but where's the reason to suspect you're not competent enough to shoot deer?

Just for reference, in my county, 2 friends of mine who'd never shot a gun in their lives got a .243 and .22-250 on OPEN certificates for deer shooting in Scotland at 1st grant, no questions asked (beyond confirmation that they had invitations to shoot with a guide).

Edited by Alsone

That's interesting! I'm putting a variation in soon (also North KENT) and would like .243 for fox and later on deer. Who was your FEO? We may have the same one as I met several before my .22lr & .17hmr were put on an open certificate.

I have Mark. Da12 area. I only have .22 closed so have to get written permission send it off before I'm allowed to shoot the land.

It would be unusual to have the rifle conditioned for fox only nowadays, both .223 and .243, I think you will find an all other legal quarry condition will apply, which of course means you are free to shoot deer.

I hope this will be the case but it didn't sound it when I was speaking to the firearms officer.

Yeah it goes down to experience when you don't have the land and I don't have enough so far even with paid days they say you can use the estate rifle.

I agree with Charlie on the condition being unusual. However, you need to check what's written before.

If you're a member, I would speak to the BASC Firearms Team as I'm struggling to see why you need to prove you have deer on your land.

If you needed deer to get the calibre granted that would be one thing, but as they're willing to grant the rifle in any event, it defies logic that they wouldn't give you permission for deer or ALOQ on it given that it's a deer legal calibre. Plus your friend has confirmed an invitation for deer shooting.

It almost says they don't trust you to shoot deer, but where's the reason to suspect you're not competent enough to shoot deer?

Just for reference, in my county, 2 friends of mine who'd never shot a gun in their lives got a .243 and .22-250 on OPEN certificates for deer shooting in Scotland at 1st grant, no questions asked (beyond confirmation that they had invitations to shoot with a guide).

Just shows the difference in forces. I'll see what the ticket comes back with and will speak to BASC if I need to then.

Stay away from the Remington 770 packages they're not as good as the 700 and some bad reviews online.

I handled one alongside a CZ 550 and Tikka T3 when buying my 243 the bolt cycling on the 770 was horrible and the rifle not great.

I went with the CZ and very pleased with the rifle :)

That's interesting! I'm putting a variation in soon (also North KENT) and would like .243 for fox and later on deer. Who was your FEO? We may have the same one as I met several before my .22lr & .17hmr were put on an open certificate.

I have Mark. Da12 area. I only have .22 closed so have to get written permission send it off before I'm allowed to shoot the land.

if you have a closed condition, I.E words to the effect, the .22 rf rifle and sound moderator,shall be used for shooting ground game and vermin, over land deemed suitable by the chief constable for the area the land is situated, you do not need to send in permission slips before shooting, PROVIDING the land is passed for a .22 or above, and you have permission obviously.

• Like 2

if you have a closed condition, I.E words to the effect, the .22 rf rifle and sound moderator,shall be used for shooting ground game and vermin, over land deemed suitable by the chief constable for the area the land is situated, you do not need to send in permission slips before shooting, PROVIDING the land is passed for a .22 or above, and you have permission obviously.
I think that's the thing with the closed license is that you do need to send in the permission land permission form for each permission as you don't know if it's been passed for that calibre till you do. Can't just take the word of the land owner all the time as it may have been passed before but things/ buildings etc have changed which means the land it's suitable for that calibre anymore.

Yeah it goes down to experience when you don't have the land and I don't have enough so far even with paid days they say you can use the estate rifle.

More bullshit from a licensing authority, don't stand for it. You only need show good reason and you have, it isn't their decision that you use an "estate rifle". You need your own rifle so that you can become familiar with it. You need to practise with it so that you are confident in despatching the intended quarry confidently. You aren't going to get that with a rifle you have just got hold of that morning, infact using a rifle that doesn't fit properly is probably bordering on a health and safety issue. If it went wrong chances are you could sue them for not allowing you to have the correct tool for the job. I would explain that to them but in writing, they aren't keen on any potential health and safety issues as they know it is them that would end up in court courtesy of the HSE.