Malinois/herders

Anyone on here own any malinois or herder type dogs? What do you use them for and how do you find them at the job they do? Find the breeds very interesting, and am interested in knpv and other dog sports. Feel free to include pictures, cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pictures

looks a strong mali that deerdogs. this is a medium coated dutch herder  

I don't own one but I'm friends and I train with a good few lads that do.Id say unless you're serious about competing in knvp or IPO don't bother and even if you do intend on competing but have no exp

I don't own one but I'm friends and I train with a good few lads that do.Id say unless you're serious about competing in knvp or IPO don't bother and even if you do intend on competing but have no experience with this type of dog you'll probably better of doing your apprenticeship with a well bred shepherd as it will be a lot more forgiving to any mistakes you might make along the way with training.A lad I know has a very well bred shepherd bitch pup who's 8months and coming along lovely but after watching clips on YouTube of herders/mails he recently paid top money for a pup out of a knvp dog called Big Roy who was sold to the Arabs for £100.000 My pal who runs our little club who regularly decoys in Holland said he hasn't even passed his test and he's gone out and bought a Ferrari.He phoned me a couple of nights ago saying the pup might have to go because it is trying to do everyone.Its only 17 weeks old.

• Like 2

Always loved Mals . The look beautiful . To much energy for me to even consider getting but they are beautiful looking dogs . Same for the Dutch shepherd . My mother in law had a Groenenhal with was re best dog I have ever seen . Absolutely bomb proof

Edited by Welsh_red

I'll be honest, I have already got a Mali, just interested to see if anyone else in here owns/trains them. And their opinions on the breed. I'd defo agree though, not for a novice. I train with some very high drive, knpv style dogs and although have limited experience have worn the suit for them, they don't mess about!

Are the 3 varieties of Belgium shepherd the same of are they completely different dogs ?

Only the Malinois is worth a toss as a working dog from hat I've heard, never had any experience with the others though so can't really say much about their temperaments. Only one I've known was Groenendael that lived down the road from me years back, was a sweet dog but as a guard it was a bit of a chocolate teapot.

I got a Mally bitch trained for personal protection, but she hunts marks and as caught the odd 1or 2 rabbits, very athletic gets up trees attempts to jump anything you ask her too more of family pet tho she's about 22-23 25 kg and really faithful but wouldn't trust her with strangers at all thing is you can't tire her out & bit hypo she can be a bit intense. Atb Flacko

• Like 1