What Makes A Man .....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wasn't joking when I said it was a disease. I've only ever had 2 proper holidays in my life because I'd rather be at home minding my dogs. They played a big part in my marriage break up. Nearly eve

I used to think along the same lines as yourself Foxdropper,.....I've spent,.. 'my life with lurchers",.and previously had no time,.. for what might best be termed , 'part timers, wasters and five min

I have seen many lads come and go in the serious digging game,some have been weekenders and some have never worked in a job, just lived for terriers, no lurchers, but I still maintain a friendship bui

Posted Images

My best mate and digging partner was steady as granite but even he couldnt beat the cancer ,to watch him waste away over a couple of months and die took a lot of getting over,it destroyed his family and especially his eldest son .

Fd worse things can happen.

Exactly my friend, I've lost a few that way myself and it hurts, nobody knows whats round the corner so enjoy your life doing what you can,when you can, no regrets, so long as you're not harming anyone else then enjoy it, Plucky

• Like 4

:hmm:I used to think along the same lines as yourself Foxdropper,.....I've spent,.. 'my life with lurchers",.and previously had no time,.. for what might best be termed , 'part timers, wasters and five minute wonders',.etc, etc... :yes:

However,...as the years have rolled by,..I have seen so many old pals, come and go,..some quit the game, and 'the game' quit on some of them,...and obviously, a large percentage of my contemporaries are now,.long gone,..dead...finito...!

There is no substitute for having a good partner in life,.(I've had my wife standing beside me for over 41 years)...and a close second to this, is having a reliable hunting buddy to share your experiences with...Facts are,..most of the lads that I walked by night with and who stood firm alongside me when it came on top,..also took their turn alongside me, in the Dock. :laugh: .....are now done and dusted,..their lives have taken a different direction to mine and I suppose they feel as though,... there really is,.far more to life than dogs... :yes:

I have faught tooth and nail to resist such girlified notions all my life,.however,.I now know that eventualy,..the time, comes to us all. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 17

Fair enough Phil but without true dedication we are nowt but messers ourselves .The day I don't think about lining a bitch for the future is unthinkable .I'm 50 now ,still digging strong and the only quality I require in a mate is the same ,nothing more nothing less ,not too much to ask is it or maybe it is .20 years is a long time to dig with someone week in week out around the country and the realisation that this is over has been a shock hence the emotion .I know plenty of lads so digging won't end by a long shot .I've had trust issues in the past and this only serves to bring that to the fore again .Life without dogs ,behave .

• Like 4

:yes:I understand exactly where you are coming from Foxdropper,...and as a lifelong hunting man myself (albeit, pretty much washed up)...I know only too well the agony of being let down (for whatever reasons)...by my fellow hunters....

To say that I have been shit upon over the years,.by various folk,.would be an understatement,.. :laugh:

I've never really been mentally tough enough, to let things wash over me, forgive and forget and carry on regardless,...and this weakness has always been my Achilles Heel...but,...trust me,.life goes on,..with or without you,..so, in my opinion, the only cure for such an upset is to get on out into the fields and woods with your huntin dawgs,...choose your quarry,...saddle up your jukels,...and give em hell... :yes:

All the best, Phil..

• Like 7

Fair enough Phil but without true dedication we are nowt but messers ourselves .The day I don't think about lining a bitch for the future is unthinkable .I'm 50 now ,still digging strong and the only quality I require in a mate is the same ,nothing more nothing less ,not too much to ask is it or maybe it is .20 years is a long time to dig with someone week in week out around the country and the realisation that this is over has been a shock hence the emotion .I know plenty of lads so digging won't end by a long shot .I've had trust issues in the past and this only serves to bring that to the fore again .Life without dogs ,behave .

Not rowing FD,but you do look down on folk who you think don't give the game the same dedication as yourself,i'm happy to be a part timer or messer as you put it and so are probebly most members on here.I don't want to be out 24/7 with the dogs or have a yard full of kenneled dogs no matter what line or breed they are as i have other things in my life like my aviaries full of birds,but that sure don't mean i'm not as dedicated as i can be in doing whats best with all of them be it working or breeding them and it was your choice to dedicate your life to your dogs and you should shoulder that weight yourself and not moan when others don't want to..Like i say not trying for a row but a real friend would support his pal in what ever he chose to do even if you don't agree with it :yes: ..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 5

Not rowing FD,but you do look down on folk who you think don't give the game the same dedication as yourself,i'm happy to be a part timer or messer as you put it and so are probebly most members on here.I don't want to be out 24/7 with the dogs or have a yard full of kenneled dogs no matter what line or breed they are as i have other things in my life like my aviaries full of birds,but that sure don't mean i'm not as dedicated as i can be in doing whats best with all of them be it working or breeding them and it was your choice to dedicate your life to your dogs and you should shoulder that weight yourself and not moan when others don't want to..Like i say not trying for a row but a real friend would support his pal in what ever he chose to do even if you don't agree with it :yes: ..

Or put another way mate I don't suffer fools gladly .There is a difference between a lad thats open about what he keeps and what they are used for to a lad that tries his best to convince others he has something he has not .I have no problem with the ratting ,bushing type ,only that the owner is up front and tells it as it .This game is full of dogs that for whatever reason can't ,won't do the job the owner supposedly says they will and its these lads that I look down upon .I'm well aware

terriers can exist alongside other interests ,I shoot ,stalk in the summer and snare as well as dig throughout the winter and spring .

The fact you keep Plummers has made you a bit touchy over the subject as you'd like to think your dogs could ,would keep up the same workload underground as other types of dedicated earth dogs whereas I beg to differ .

You will refute this but there it is.

Another thing I look down upon is the sad fact of lads chopping and changing stock ,breeding one offs to one offs ,scatter breeding .

These same lads will be constantly moaning about lack of quality about and wondering why they arnt gifted the best .

The selling of dogs is my final gripe so if you fit any of these then ..........the cap fits .

If any of these situations ring a bell fireman then I wouldn't expect you know what the thread is about in the first place so your wind up early on is excused .

Regards FD

• Like 4

Or put another way mate I don't suffer fools gladly .There is a difference between a lad thats open about what he keeps and what they are used for to a lad that tries his best to convince others he has something he has not .I have no problem with the ratting ,bushing type ,only that the owner is up front and tells it as it .This game is full of dogs that for whatever reason can't ,won't do the job the owner supposedly says they will and its these lads that I look down upon .I'm well aware

terriers can exist alongside other interests ,I shoot ,stalk in the summer and snare as well as dig throughout the winter and spring .

The fact you keep Plummers has made you a bit touchy over the subject as you'd like to think your dogs could ,would keep up the same workload underground as other types of dedicated earth dogs whereas a Plummer to ground is a rarity and I beg to differ .

You will refute this but there it is.

Another thing I look down upon is the sad fact of lads chopping and changing stock ,breeding one offs to one offs ,scatter breeding .

These same lads will be constantly moaning about lack of quality about and wondering why they arnt gifted the best .

The selling of dogs is my final gripe so if you fit any of these then ..........the cap fits .

If any of these situations ring a bell fireman then I wouldn't expect you know what the thread is about in the first place so your wind up early on is excused .

Regards FD

• Like 1

Do I read you right FD that only black terriers like yours are the only type to cope with a heavy workload, genuine question, Plucky

Nowhere does it say anything about black dogs ,white dogs or pink dogs .You know what I mean therefore don't twist it .

I agree with what you've written FD :thumbs: , but just for the record i have just one plummer who is 9 years old and yes she is a bit of a rarity due to the fact i've dug to her many times but i do have a russell for the heavier work a terrier is called upon to do.. :victory:

• Like 1