Help Needed Urgent...

I've acquired a ferret this morning got him in a cage but not sure what I can feed it, I've got dogs and cats can I give it some dog or cat food? Any help appreciated as I have no experience with ferrets, the other thing is I think it's got a tick on it what household stuff can I use to remove it? Cheers for any info.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the supportive comments. I found the ferret whilst out this morning strolling across the road. I've no experience with ferrets nor had any intention of getting one, but at present I have on

I hope I'm wrong here,but If you have got this ferret to work , or as a pet,I would think you should know what, and how much to feed before getting one. I don't think keeping it in a cage is going

well he has it now. so he probaly needs all the helpfull advice he can get

Posted Images

Just feed the ferret on any raw meet apart from pork. You can get about 12 chicken drumsticks from morrisons for £1.50p. Regarding ticks i just wait till they get big enough till i can get hold of them and just pull them out with my fingers.

I hope I'm wrong here,but If you have got this ferret to work ,

or as a pet,I would think you should know what, and

how much to feed before getting one.

I don't think keeping it in a cage is going to be ok either,

it needs a run as well.A bit of thought before hand or a book

would of been better.

• Like 3

Thanks for the supportive comments. I found the ferret whilst out this morning strolling across the road. I've no experience with ferrets nor had any intention of getting one, but at present I have one and when I said it's in a cage it's actually a two tier hen house with run. I was looking for information urgently as stated regarding food an such as I don't know when it was last fed.... Thanks again.

Edited by PJWmids
  • Like 4

I've had a good look at him now and he has at least 3 ticks, I've ordered o'tom tick twister, but could I use frontline cat spot on for fleas and ticks on him as I have some to hand? I'm also gonna go get some chicken drum sticks will one a day be sufficient?

I use the frontline spray, there is a risk with the spot on that you can burn them (i know my spaniel got what looked like a chemical burn when we accidentally used the large dog one on her and she was always fine with the right sized one.) It was a few years ago now so the recipe has more than likely changed.

Best thing to do short term is get somethimg in the pen for it to eat and make sure hes got access to fresh water and you cant go too far wrong. For bedding you could use pretty much anything, even an old t shirt or jumper or towel cut into pieces so he can nest up in it.

Edited by Jax13

I was hoping that was the case,it's good that your taking it on.

Sorry if I sounded harsh before, only there are so many guys

that get ferret's, keep them for a week or two, then find they

don't know how to care for them.Good luck with him, I'm sure

there's plenty of guy's on the site that will give you some

helpful information. keep us updated.

I've had a good look at him now and he has at least 3 ticks, I've ordered o'tom tick twister, but could I use frontline cat spot on for fleas and ticks on him as I have some to hand? I'm also gonna go get some chicken drum sticks will one a day be sufficient?

you could give him liver from the butchers aswell, now and again a boiled egg as a treat, the odd raw egg does mt ferrets no harm, there main food is rabbits that they have caught when out ferreting, ive often forgot to take out a frozen rabbit to defrost in time and just gave the ferrets some dried complete dog food. How big is the ferret, if hes a good size try him on 2 drum sticks.If you check him the next day and theres still a drum stick dont give him anymore untill its gone. What im trying to say is the ferret will learn you how much or how little to feed it.If your feeding it too much and its getting fat,cut his food back.If the way you are feeding it and its looking skinny just up its food. You will learn how much as you go along

• Like 1

Well where he's being kept used to house my daughters bunny lol he's got some fresh hay down and sawdust which I had left from before the bunny died lol he's curled up in it and got a water feeder and bowl of water and he will have a drumstick once the Mrs gets back from the shop. So he seems OK, just the ticks that were worrying me. But I suppose they are a hazard to working ferrets. I was worried about the ticks breading in my garden and my dogs picking them up though that's why I want to treat it asap.