Rats R Us.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been that much water about a few of the earths were still flooded. At least we had a bit of sport around the slurry lagoon.

Very good day in good company.   115 rats in the bag an a bunch of stinking dogs.

Just a quick mooch on a game crop this afternoon

Posted Images

My older bitch will eat rats for a past time ,vile but you try stop her .Vit K is the antidote to Warfarin based coagoalents your right Neil .Modern poisons have moved on though ,someone will state the active ingredients suffice to say my young dog ate some and the vet gave her a saline jab to vomit it out .No vit k jab .Sent home 90 notes lighter and a charcoal liquid that absorbs any remaining poison in the gut .Diofecom I think poison was called .Lilac coloured paste .Worse stuff is drat as its apparently sweet tasting .

your right foxdropper warfarin was the first generation poison but then came a lot of resistance to that.... so the modern poisons now are all what they call second generation... bromadilone, brodifacoum, difenacoum, difetialone flocoumafen. but when used outdoors they can be lethal so have to be set in tunnels or boxes so only your target species takes the bait... and I have seen quite a few pestys not caring how the present it round a farm, then you have alphaclorose great for winter times or coldstores anywhere below 10 degrees... but vit K wont work on them for these all attach to the liver enzymes different to what warafin did.. if a terrier ingests it you have to try and induce vomiting on the spot to try and prevent it reaching the gut then the blood stream... If im asked to do a contract on a farm ill ask if they have laid poison before...most will have and used it quite freely and wrongly... and if so what kind and how long ago.... if the answers are good ill hit it for 2 days first with 2 terriers.... they clear up anything from 4 to 20 sometimes, but the most important factor is they let me know a few different things which would take 8 visits if you were just doing a silly poison contract like 9/10 pestys would... first off the terriers take me straight to the most active spots... kill a few and in the process show me is there many dough's or bucks youngens or semi's...half growns... they tell me what barns and ditches there in and what feed stuffs there frequenting.... so from that you can get a general account of how many boxes you will need, the type of poison that is best for the job and roughly how much poison you will use on the 8 visits.... but some are starting to get asked more recently to forget about the poison method and come back with the 2 terriers for the 8 visits... not only do they kill more than poison would, theres no non resistance in rats to a terriers teeth.... and they also have the piece of mind of not using non organic methods on there land.

• Like 9

My older bitch will eat rats for a past time ,vile but you try stop her .Vit K is the antidote to Warfarin based coagoalents your right Neil .Modern poisons have moved on though ,someone will state the active ingredients suffice to say my young dog ate some and the vet gave her a saline jab to vomit it out .No vit k jab .Sent home 90 notes lighter and a charcoal liquid that absorbs any remaining poison in the gut .Diofecom I think poison was called .Lilac coloured paste .Worse stuff is drat as its apparently sweet tasting .

your right foxdropper warfarin was the first generation poison but then came a lot of resistance to that.... so the modern poisons now are all what they call second generation... bromadilone, brodifacoum, difenacoum, difetialone flocoumafen. but when used outdoors they can be lethal so have to be set in tunnels or boxes so only your target species takes the bait... and I have seen quite a few pestys not caring how the present it round a farm, then you have alphaclorose great for winter times or coldstores anywhere below 10 degrees... but vit K wont work on them for these all attach to the liver enzymes different to what warafin did.. if a terrier ingests it you have to try and induce vomiting on the spot to try and prevent it reaching the gut then the blood stream... If im asked to do a contract on a farm ill ask if they have laid poison before...most will have and used it quite freely and wrongly... and if so what kind and how long ago.... if the answers are good ill hit it for 2 days first with 2 terriers.... they clear up anything from 4 to 20 sometimes, but the most important factor is they let me know a few different things which would take 8 visits if you were just doing a silly poison contract like 9/10 pestys would... first off the terriers take me straight to the most active spots... kill a few and in the process show me is there many dough's or bucks youngens or semi's...half growns... they tell me what barns and ditches there in and what feed stuffs there frequenting.... so from that you can get a general account of how many boxes you will need, the type of poison that is best for the job and roughly how much poison you will use on the 8 visits.... but some are starting to get asked more recently to forget about the poison method and come back with the 2 terriers for the 8 visits... not only do they kill more than poison would, theres no non resistance in rats to a terriers teeth.... and they also have the piece of mind of not using non organic methods on there land.

Great post Stop end, very informative,WM

What is the small dog is a dachund russel?

Nice russels, old mate of mine had sauage dog russel types dynamtie for early summer in shooting areas,dog used to work silage bales and flush out plenty of good jaw droppers from the little sod.the other fell dogs yours treehands?. Good day. FH.

Nice russels, old mate of mine had sauage dog russel types dynamtie for early summer in shooting areas,dog used to work silage bales and flush out plenty of good jaw droppers from the little sod.the other fell dogs yours treehands?. Good day. FH.

I assumed it was a pup learning the trade.
  • Like 2

The small dog is my young pup, she was in the pickup during all the action, just let out a few times, this time to get in on the photos !

She has accompanied us a couple of times to observe the other dogs digging rats out, too early to expect her to get stuck in, already ragging the dead rats, showing a bit of spirit !!

post-9970-0-87811400-1455548424_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7