Back Fill Your Digs!!!!

had a day out with a good mate of mine on some good permission of mine. I had three big rangy earths in mind and it was time for a couple of young dogs from the kennels to up the anti and put in a shift.

we went to all three earths and had been beaten by no more than a week on all three!!!! on two of the earths it was only myself who had permission and the farmer had actually rung me to come and try the earths so he was totally un aware that some one had been there from the other side! I could not believe it. not the fact some one else had been there as this doesn't bother me to much, but the state all 3 earths was in was mind blowing!

all three earths were around 5 foot deep and no attempt at all to backfill had been made. the one earth was flooded. these three earths have been favourites of mine for many years and I have had some great sport out of them, always returning them to the state I found them. I knew then they would continue to hold game.

the worrying thing at least one of these earths had been dug by a hunt terrierman with a local gun pack. I just don't get it? you have done the hard work in digging down in the first place so pushing it back in is childs play! these same sort of lads can frequently be heard complaining of lack of game holed up...... well fill it back in and give it a chance!! would you lie in bed if some one ripped the roof off you bedroom and just left it?

anyway fair play my friend mucked in and we made these earths back to how they should be, but its rock and hard place as there is good chance these earths will hold game again pretty soon and the same morons will dig it again so they have not learned any lesson.

the day was pushing on so I we moved on and dropped lucky with a very handy first dig to my young russel dog who did well, a little to pushy for my personal style but well all the same. and the bonus was he had a brace held up in front of him so atleast there was a silver lining to a very dark cloud

atb

post-93865-0-76096400-1452508525_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

had a day out with a good mate of mine on some good permission of mine. I had three big rangy earths in mind and it was time for a couple of young dogs from the kennels to up the anti and put in a shi

Bridging, Unless metal or flagstone,even then only when a drain has been breached   Creates two hazards. One for the dog.. The other Cattle.. Big an heavy, will test any backfill. And will fin

Cant get my head around the not backfilling tbh .My objective is to leave it as if nothing happened even it means finding a few leaves .

Posted Images

It's very annoying and it's not always novices that are to blame. Real sign of a cowboy.

no your right! like I say at least one of these digs was by a terrierman who really should not better! I just don't get the mentality. but hey ho we will keep on at them

atb

None of those digs were done by a terrierman. A terrierman always backfills, even if it means coming back the next day to finish. Something I had to do recently.

• Like 1

Cant get my head around the not backfilling tbh .My objective is to leave it as if nothing happened even it means finding a few leaves .

I bet they were bragging off to their mates later what a fine day out they had.But didn't bother to mention they left a good earth in shit state. Tossers

• Like 2

What do people think of bridging the tunnel with sticks before backfilling, its a pet hate of mine. as soon as the ground gets saturated it collapses and makes a mess.

Why bridge a stopend ,dont get it .

Im trying to explain this to my mate for years fd, he still wont listen ffs lol

It's very annoying and it's not always novices that are to blame. Real sign of a cowboy.

no your right! like I say at least one of these digs was by a terrierman who really should not better! I just don't get the mentality. but hey ho we will keep on at them

atb

None of those digs were done by a terrierman. A terrierman always backfills, even if it means coming back the next day to finish. Something I had to do recently.

Very true neil has to be done.