Trouble Zeroing Airarms

Hi I'm just after some help iv borrowed an airarms s400 carbine single shot for shooting a few rats in the garden. it has a hawk mill dot scope mounted and I got given a tin of sovereign pellets the kid said it just need zeroing so I thought easy enough. I had a few shots at a target about 30yards away and to be honest the grouping is crap, it started off ok I adjusted it as in needed to be about 1.5 inch down and 2 inch to the right. I took the caps off the scope and tried adjusting it and they were adjusted up fully the way I wanted to go. So my question is

could the scope be mounted wrong?

Are the pellets poor?

I don't think I'm doing it wrong as Iv zeroed springers in with scope on before sometimes you can see the pellet totally miss the target.

I'd say it's the mounts mate

Take the scope of and put the windage and elevations back to zero

Look at the mounts and see if there level ( may be not level )

Pellets could also be clipping to the mod , try to zero with out it on

Go back to basics and start again

Atb

• Like 1

check your fill pressure is above 110 bar 150 would be better . get better pellets . what you describe may be a bit more of a problem . If the scope adjustment is all used up there could be something wrong with the scope or the mounts or the barrel could be bent down . If your gun is full of air and the gun groups well you could adjust your shooting you know where the shot goes on the scope so just shoot there . A fix for the problem maybe move the front scope mount to the rear and the rear mount to the front . Or what would be my first thing to try put some packing in the rear scope mount under the scope tin foil or some film from a camera .

Thanks lads. And barry white you were right mate I took it to the gun shop near me redbeck shooting in Wakefield and the lads were spot on. They tried zeroing it and they had same trouble as I did then they realised the barrel was bent, so they sorted that out for me and the gun had a silencer fitted but the adapt or between the silencer and the barrel was crap and was sending the pellet all over. So the pit a new adapt or in for me and zeroed it it was spot on I was mocking a spinning target bout the size of a £2 piece everytime. The lad at the shop said they probably couldn't be botherd finding a proper adaptor for the barrel and silencer it could of put my mate who's a youg lad of shooting for good. The rifle much more enjoyable to shoot now

• Like 2

Start again and make sure the crosshairs are in the middle of the range before you start. count the clicks from one end to the other and then turn back to the middle. Do the windage first. You might be asking too much if you're trying to zero too close. Zero at 25/30yds and if the windage is right just use the dots to aim over/under. If it's well out it's the scope or the mounts. I once bought a Bushnell scope and spent an hour getting it just right. Next time I picked it up it was three inches out. Turned out to be a clone. Was able to get my money back though. Decent pellets help. You might get away with shite pellets on rats later but use decent ones to get your set up right.