out with the dogs earlier and see 5 ravens in herts area,watched them for few minutes circle round go over top of me then away,obvious size difference to crows but the thing i did notice that got me to look up was their calling/chattering etc,never seen them in the wild before in herts so a particularly rare sighting id guess,great to see though.i did see some tame ones being trained at leavesden studios many years ago got me wondering if they escapees maybe,

• Like 1

We often get Ravens on a pylon about 70 yards away from my house. Year before last we had six on there at the same time I suspect a pair and their brood Konking away.

No zoom lens I am afraid.

2013_0620Ravens0001_zps2e7a93b2.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

The Raven and Heron are the earliest birds to breed every year. Both start in February, that is how Peregrines and ravens will share the same cliff, as the Peregrines do not lay until may and by then the young Ravens have fledged and left the area.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

hi mate, there quite rare there because there all over here, lol (Canada) we've seen a lot now, were crows have the tendency to flap there wings when in flight, the raven mostly soars, probably due to its size,but you cant shoot ravens on public land here, but you can shoot then on private land with the land owners permission, the farmers here seem to have problems with the ravens, crows, and magpies, trying to peck out the eyes of the new born calves, fallow deer,etc, so they tend to shoot them all the time,

tilly

hi mate, there quite rare there because there all over here, lol (Canada) we've seen a lot now, were crows have the tendency to flap there wings when in flight, the raven mostly soars, probably due to its size,but you cant shoot ravens on public land here, but you can shoot then on private land with the land owners permission, the farmers here seem to have problems with the ravens, crows, and magpies, trying to peck out the eyes of the new born calves, fallow deer,etc, so they tend to shoot them all the time,

tilly

yeah i googled the differences when i got home they mentioned the soaring thing,difference in tail beak etc just wanted to confirm they was ravens like i say first for me in herts and i been here 30 years

• Like 1

I heard a Raven just a few weeks back, must have been other side of some hawthorne, just off my back garden.

Didn't get to see it but that call is very distinctive. Get plenty of other corvids arond here but nothing that sounds like that. I did have to do quick google just to double check that call. Wish i'd have seen it now, don't think we get too many around here in notts, not that i know of anyway!