Clone Valley Beagles

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good old footage.

Out on a cold, cold day.   Beagling is the finest of all hound sports. IMO.

Nice little pack is the Colne Valley.

Posted Images

Used to hunt with the hunsley beacon beagles . Dave evans was the huntsman, had invites to the colne valley but never got there, work commitments, Great sport watching those hounds, hard to believe some people on this site think a beagle could not catch a hare

A friend a couple of years ago texted me on a Sunday evening to tell me that their beagles had pulled her down after a 3 hour hunt.

On the Monday morning at a meet I mentioned it to a man who'd been 27 years in professional hunt service with a pack of foxhounds.

He called me a bullshitter and told me it can't be done.

Used to hunt with the hunsley beacon beagles . Dave evans was the huntsman, had invites to the colne valley but never got there, work commitments, Great sport watching those hounds, hard to believe some people on this site think a beagle could not catch a hare

A friend a couple of years ago texted me on a Sunday evening to tell me that their beagles had pulled her down after a 3 hour hunt.

On the Monday morning at a meet I mentioned it to a man who'd been 27 years in professional hunt service with a pack of foxhounds.

away she tried to steal,but her life she had to yield,the old song says it all neil, atb.

away she tried to steal,but her life she had to yield,the old song says it all neil, atb.

but towler he took her in full flight! cracking song :thumbs:

I'm half embarrassed to say it, but I reckon the ONLY thing I haven't seen in the field is a pack of Beagles hunt to a successful conclusion.

I've been very lucky and have seen hounds do what some say can't be done and I have good friends down South who hunt or follow some very good hounds and yet it's the one thing left on my hound bucket list, LOL.

Some day.

Nice photos of hounds but by jesus you can see there's a touch of harrier but know body will admit it they got more leg under them than the early fell hounds . A old friend of mine hunted the Vale of lune harriers and I can recall him saying if they caught a hare it would be on the first two fields after that it would be almost very uncommon and he also told me a harrier would hunt anything it could even hunt your granny up a path amazes me why they keep using them in Ireland to hunt foxes when they spend a very long time trying to stop them hunting hares when a foxhound is more fox orientated and would be better suited

• Like 1

Foxbolter, here in Ireland the mounted harrier packs mostly use foxhounds and even a lot of the foot harrier packs use foxhounds and then the others tend to use Irish Harriers which are a different hound to your stud book harrier and believe me, young entry foxhounds will riot on hare if allowed.

• Like 2

There are still a lot of harrier packs in irland Neil and I know foxhounds will riot on hare but in time will be broken and has for the harrier they can never be broken the same and what you find harriers look for hares foxhounds don't

There are still a lot of harrier packs in irland Neil and I know foxhounds will riot on hare but in time will be broken and has for the harrier they can never be broken the same and what you find harriers look for hares foxhounds don't

The pack I follow dont and they have they're fair shair of harriers...

Now I can only talk about Irish Harriers as my experience with stud book harriers is limited, but while you can never truly break an Irish harrier from hares, if you hunt them often enough and long enough on foxes you can get them to a stage where they will hunt fox first and hare later. I suppose its what you are after. In the North the traditional foot harrier packs are hare first and only hunt a fox if you come across them, but most foot packs try to avoid them as they will usually take you out of the hunting area chosen for the day. The fox only packs in the North are mostly gun packs and to be honest are usually only made up of hounds with faults or that are too soft to cut it with a hare pack. All they are looking for is enough noise to put the fox out of cover or decent enough to put a fox to ground. I know down south there are fox only packs but from my experience with them they use a mix of a few Irish harriers for tongue and cry and mostly foxhounds to try to keep the pack steady on fox. They would only breed of Irish harriers that are fox keen so over time I suppose they have developed hounds to suit themselves. Talking of breeding we have a strain of hound in my own pack that occasionally throws out bitches that are great hounds on hare but will refuse point blank to hunt a fox.

• Like 2