Little aside. Had 11 rabbits all dressed in the fridge but had left them maybe slightly too long. Took them indoors much to her ire and decided to cut out the fillets. Made a sauce with onion, red chilli, leek, rose merry, black pepper, salt and Stilton cheese crumbs. Cubed the fillEts and cooked the whole caboodle for 2 hours. Pastry made and 1 hour later the best pies ever. By gum. Bring on the next batch.

tell me more about this sauce. Did you make a white sauce and add the bit or use a stock ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Little aside. Had 11 rabbits all dressed in the fridge but had left them maybe slightly too long. Took them indoors much to her ire and decided to cut out the fillets. Made a sauce with onion, red chi

350g plain, 225g butter, pinch of salt . Add to blender or mix by hand to bread crumb. Add beaten egg and few table spoon of water to bring together then pop in fridge for bit. We use it for mince pie

On a seperate note what do u lot do with the guts when u do it at home? When ive done it i end up with a stinking bag hanging round till blak bag day which could be up to 13 days away

No mate. Started rom scratch with virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper. Onion in with a couple of garlic cloves,crushed. Kept everything on a low heat and added as I went along. Last in was the rabbit which I think was was for about half an hour. Did about 1/3 pint veg stock which went in with the Stilton crumbs. Way to go..

No mate. Started rom scratch with virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper. Onion in with a couple of garlic cloves,crushed. Kept everything on a low heat and added as I went along. Last in was the rabbit which I think was was for about half an hour. Did about 1/3 pint veg stock which went in with the Stilton crumbs. Way to go..

Cheers Jok like the sound of that got some rabbit in fridge ready

Know when you take the fillets off. Cut along the spine and using a fairly broad bladed knife pull rather than cut the meat. It leaves the skin lol. Makes quite a difference to the end result. Whatever you do, even changing the sauce, let us know cause constantly learning

Well went a bit off course forgot the cheese and I love a blue cheese sauce :doh: and I used a chicken stock cube instead of veg.

Gently fried one red onion and one white with two cloves of garlic in olive oil and bit of butter added 2 leeks and half a red chilli. Then the rabbit fillets diced. Fried for about 20 minutes gently then added a bit of flour and cooked off. Then added the stock and popped in the oven while i walked dog for an hour two.

Let it cool and made me pastry and popped in the oven for 20 minutes. Big hit the kids loved them and me too :thumbs:

23503797093_8a02450b85_c.jpg

23502381974_008088b2a0_c.jpg

24130602385_c551353987_c.jpg

poor pictures as me phone needs a clean lol. Used muffin tin ideal size for lunchbox ;)

• Like 1

Well done my friend. Now we're getting somewhere. Thing is, you can chuck food away when really there is no need. I've been following Hugh Fernly Whittingstall (got that all wrong) and I agree with his ideas on buying ang wasting food. How easy was that to put a meal in front of your family and the little un enjoyingbrilliant.

How did you make the pastry?

350g plain, 225g butter, pinch of salt . Add to blender or mix by hand to bread crumb. Add beaten egg and few table spoon of water to bring together then pop in fridge for bit. We use it for mince pies but the like it and it works for any thing really

• Like 2

Some chefs to put us rightThought your pastry looked light. More of a cake mix?? Never have put any egg in, only water. Bit of baking soda to stop it stretching. Hey, whatever floats your boat. Bet we get

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we go again. 29 rabbits this morning. I'm allowed a bit of imagination. For sure the last recipe will be repeated. New ones on the horizon. All ideas appreciated. Tell you what. The rabbits are massive. Not seen many like this for a long time. Fair few in kindle.

Here we go again. 29 rabbits this morning. I'm allowed a bit of imagination. For sure the last recipe will be repeated. New ones on the horizon. All ideas appreciated. Tell you what. The rabbits are massive. Not seen many like this for a long time. Fair few in kindle.

cook the legs like chicken wings deep fat fryer a little squeeze of lemon when done perfection lad
  • Like 1

Incidentally. For the first time ever, and because we were running late, we didn't paunch them. I did all that this morning and actually found it easier. The paunch had set and came away clean as a whistle leaving the livers intact.

Trouble being , the lovely one got rid of the deep fat fryer and had one of these new fangled gadgets which only need a tablespoon of oil. Not happy but that's progress.

Get yourself a couple of pound of best beef dripping and a saucepan. Then keep it for yourself. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/346427-cant-get-anyone-to-do-the-rabbits/?do=findComment&comment=4014185

scrumptious. :yes:

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2