Sausages Supplies

• 4 weeks later...

Try Weschenfelder on the net. They will have everything and more. 20 % is about average. Use pork shoulder it's got the right fat content.

I just minced up 12 pheasants today & some pork belly. I now had 4kg of meat chilling in the fridge overnight. I got hunters mix from the site you recommended; however half of the mix I want to use as chilli sausages, so 2kg of meat. How much chilli powder would you reckon I use?

Try Weschenfelder on the net. They will have everything and more. 20 % is about average. Use pork shoulder it's got the right fat content.

I just minced up 12 pheasants today & some pork belly. I now had 4kg of meat chilling in the fridge overnight. I got hunters mix from the site you recommended; however half of the mix I want to use as chilli sausages, so 2kg of meat. How much chilli powder would you reckon I use?

As well as Weschenfelder, sausagemaking.org and scobiesdirect are good for sausagemaking supplies. Personally I use scobiesdirect and always had good service, they are based in East Kilbride, Glasgow.

If you are going to add chilli, or any other ingedients, to your sausage mix it then becomes an experiment so a little at a time would be my advice. Always keep notes of how much you put in so that you can replicate the same flavour again. Always thoroughly mix and fry off a small patty for tasting, you may have to do this a few times to obtain the flavour you want.

• Like 3

As well as Weschenfelder, sausagemaking.org and scobiesdirect are good for sausagemaking supplies. Personally I use scobiesdirect and always had good service, they are based in East Kilbride, Glasgow.

If you are going to add chilli, or any other ingedients, to your sausage mix it then becomes an experiment so a little at a time would be my advice. Always keep notes of how much you put in so that you can replicate the same flavour again. Always thoroughly mix and fry off a small patty for tasting, you may have to do this a few times to obtain the flavour you want.

Cheers for the advice. I'll give it a go tonight & see how they turn out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I use "Butchers sundries" on ebay. Simply because they sell everything required, which makes ordering and postage simple. What I do like about these is that they give the required weight quantities on the spice mix packets. As you'll be aware everything needs to be weighed even the liquid or it ends in tears! I now add my own herbs/spices to the pre made spice mix to get a more interesting flavour. I use pork belly for the fat content. I used to use Shoulder but the belly is better IMO and if bought from Aldi quite good/high fat content. Ironically many other supermarkets have too lean a pork belly which is not what is wanted when making naturally lean wild meat sausages. If you have a proper butcher nearby, flair fat is good to add but obviously if not a regular customer there, he's likely to not sell it randomly. Bit of a headache at times but good fun making them.