The Worst Year Ever For Onions And Leeks

What an abysmal, horrible, rot ridden, grub infested shite lot of Onions and leeks I've grown this year. That little brown larvae beetly type thing has really thrown me a wobbler. The ground was perfect, weedfree (as much as can be expected). Now at this time of year I'm churning out faggots like they're going out of fashion, but the whole idea was to use my own produce to reduce costs and ultimately help towards the running costs of the allotment. How wrong was I there? Unfortunately the other guys have, to a man , had the same problems. Is this regional? Now, I'll listen to sensible critism being a bit broad shouldered, but would really like to know how to combat this little barsteward. The powers that be admit we have a problem but at the moment don't seem to be giving any advice. Over to you fellas.

I have had the best year for onions and garlic, seems all my Roots went wrong, and runners were awful, but onions galore, leeks were superb and still going strong, garlic, I never had so much garlic as this year, tomatoes were unreal as well, and spuds, they done well, everything else other than a few beets were terrible, strange year all round for me.

Edited by Rabid

Thank you for the comments. I know I'm not alone with this scourge , but it still begs the question, what is the little shite and how do we eradicate? I ain't one for moaning (too much) but when everything else has done so well it needs an answer. One of the guys even hinted that he might not bother again with onions and leeks. What type of a garden would that be?

Two years ago my leeks were a write off with whatever grub it is that turns them to mush and I said I never grow them again. I rotated the patch to pumpkins and sweet corn last year and this year changed my mind again and decided to have another go with the leeks again. The leeks have been a bumper crop, as were my shallots - where the grub came from and where they've gone to is a mystery!

Riohog and Yokel Matt. I'm told it is a moth which lays an egg in the folds of the leaves of onions , leeks etc which then burrows down, as a grub, to feed on the outer layers. Typically you get horrible brown streaks through the flesh and basically the bulb is mush. I'm of a frame of mind to do as you have done in that another rotation might work, but how do you stop a moth?

all my onions and leeks and shallots have been crap this year as well !,in fact its been a bad years all round in the veg patch virtually everything has bolted or just not done been a case of making the most of a bad job ,just had the last of the leeks up into bacon and leek soup (well what we could salvage of them ,should have been for over winter) swedes very small pumpkins and squash poor beans poor and on it goes !!!!! ,best was the calibrese and caulli

• 2 weeks later...