Killed My Meat Birds

No, but I don't know what would be best I'm afraid. One year I raised 15 meat ducks and tried doing them the same way as the chickens and it was useless - they were a complete nightmare to pluck. I scalded the first one as usual then after about half an hour trying to pluck that one bird I gave up and ended up skinning all the rest.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies in advance for the hideous formatting of this post. Something to do with me not resizing the photos properly. So bear with me!   I've just killed my meat birds at exactly 100 days old. Had

Sure do. There's virtually no waste whatsoever as heads and feet go to the dogs and most of the innards either go to the dogs or ferrets. I'm sure there are people on here who'd be horrified at that i

I get day old JA787 from Poulet Anglais in Spilsby. They're similar to a Ross Cobb but don't go off their legs like the Ross Cobbs do. I used to keep them longer - probably about another 35 days, kill

Posted Images

Under heat lamp from day old to 3 weeks (gradually raise the lamp higher and higher as they begin to feather up), then out on the lawn in a run that gets moved every day for 2 weeks, then free range until slaughter. I have them on chick crumb for the first 5 - 6 weeks, then switch over to layers pellets.

Prefer to do chickens and turkeys dry, but son much easier to wet pluck ducks and geese.... We use the big metal boilers, not sure on temperature but the waters not boiling but there's a fair bit of steam coming off it, it's to hot to put your hand in but not hot enough to boil the birds

Prefer to do chickens and turkeys dry, but son much easier to wet pluck ducks and geese.... We use the big metal boilers, not sure on temperature but the waters not boiling but there's a fair bit of steam coming off it, it's to hot to put your hand in but not hot enough to boil the birds

Plucking dry gives a crispy skin.

Krawnden do you save the heads for the dogs?