Why Don't Any One Train Other Peoples Lurchers For Lamping Or Fitness ?

Just a question ! Why don't any one train lurchers for lamping or fitness.

As in like puppy's if some one struggling to get it running properly or have retrieving-jumping-recall problems

Fitness like if some one has a full time job with limited time to spend on fitness and can only get dog out 1-2 times a week. Why can't you send it and get it half fit for 4-5 weeks before you start so you a little bit in front ??

I fully understand it's all about time and effort and what you put in you get out !

And the bond between you and your dog !

But this is just a question

( personally wouldn't do it myself )

Doubt people would pay - training to a decent standard is time consuming and labour costs soon add up. That's why a trained gundog will set you back thousands. You see enough people moaning on here at pups advertised at £350 - d'you think they'd be happy to fork out a couple of grand instead....? Can't see there being enough demand for it to be financially viable.

• Like 1

I thought this did go on, I haven't bought a Countrymans Weekly for a very long time but the classifieds always had a few one/two year old dogs that are not for the faint hearted and doing all legal quarry and for sale through no fault of their own. Perfect if you don't have the time to put in, personally that's not for me I love bringing a youngster through the ranks.

Fitness isn't something that is achieved just once, then not bothered with again. It's like training for any type of sport or serious lifestyle. If you aren't actually competing your'e training. Fitness is lost just as quickly as it is gained, so sending a dog away to get fit would be totally pointless unless the owner was prepared to continue the conditioning once they got it back again.

As for training a dog to lamp: it would be much better for both dog and owner to learn together as any issues are often the result of poor handling or the owner not knowing what he is doing. Lamping isn't rocket science, but it does demand a minimum of field craft: I've seen people marching across the middle of open fields with the wind behind them, sweeping the land for a great distance in front of them, putting all the rabbits to ground long before the dog is in position to run them. :icon_eek:

• Like 7

I go on the odd pheasant and duck shoot when invited, one of the old fellas who shoots keeps a couple of spaniels. These were both sent away for training to various levels and he said the dogs owe him £10k between them.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. He's definitely got more money than sense.

You can tell from a mile away the bloke hasn't got a clue with dogs. Not a clue. They obey him just about, but you can see there is no bond there, they respond to the whistle, yet look lost and confused.

They look like someone else trained them and bonded with them and this idiot just blows the whistle for them...

• Like 1

Fitness isn't something that is achieved just once, then not bothered with again. It's like training for any type of sport or serious lifestyle. If you aren't actually competing your'e training. Fitness is lost just as quickly as it is gained, so sending a dog away to get fit would be totally pointless unless the owner was prepared to continue the conditioning once they got it back again.

As for training a dog to lamp: it would be much better for both dog and owner to learn together as any issues are often the result of poor handling or the owner not knowing what he is doing. Lamping isn't rocket science, but it does demand a minimum of field craft: I've seen people marching across the middle of open fields with the wind behind them, sweeping the land for a great distance in front of them, putting all the rabbits to ground long before the dog is in position to run them. :icon_eek:

Its the same with when i train sheepdogs for people its the owner who needs training most of the time or they dont work the dog enough to keep it quiet instead they let them out once a month and wonder why the dogs a lunatic as soon as it see's the sheep there that desprate to do something.

• Like 3

My Uncle breeds and trains gun dogs and makes a good living from it, he nearly always trains the new owners too before letting the dogs go, sometimes it takes a couple of days more often than not a couple of weeks, he always keeps an eye on their progress too. There are plenty of people out there with money to buy a ready made dog, but not many of those people have the ability to take on a ready made dog, every dog is different and respond differently to different people. Regarding owning a dog and farming out for a bit of pre season fitness training, if its done sensibly and you trust the person doing it, it could help you out when you are busy, but if you commit to having a dog, surely you way up the pro's and con's of whether your work/lifestyle balance can suite owning a working lurcher in the first place, which ultimately would limit the amount of dogs being passed on through 'no fault of their own' or 'change in circumstances'. I know some of these are genuine

but I do wonder if a lot of it is just down to people not realising the time and effort that does need to be put in, in order to get as much as they believe they should be getting, out.... I hope that makes sense, I'm dyslexic as hell and don't always put down what I think I am...

the only way is to gert out there and have go your self all you have to do is just make sure thr dog as deff seen the rabbit beore you slip it.,once you know its deff seen it let the dog do the rest, you both learn from it as you go along.regards retreveing forget what people will tell you some lurchers will bring back some wont, its as simple as that, dont forget its not natural in a running dog they just like to chase anything that runs from them, your hoping with another breed in there it might act differnt , it might it might not, nothing set in stone with lurchers working day or night. laming it self will get your dog fit it could take 6 weeks to get it proper fit ,just have ago, keep money for fuel bill looking to find rabbits, just get out there and have ago :yes:

• Like 2

Just a question ! Why don't any one train lurchers for lamping or fitness.

As in like puppy's if some one struggling to get it running properly or have retrieving-jumping-recall problems

Fitness like if some one has a full time job with limited time to spend on fitness and can only get dog out 1-2 times a week. Why can't you send it and get it half fit for 4-5 weeks before you start so you a little bit in front ??

I fully understand it's all about time and effort and what you put in you get out !

And the bond between you and your dog !

But this is just a question

( personally wouldn't do it myself )

http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/fieldwork.html

and

http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/services.html :thumbs:

Edited by Maximus Ferret