Dog licence's

Does anyone think that there is a need for dog licence's it may minimise bad dog owners, especially where large or dangerous dogs are involved. They could be graded in such a way where as different types of dog could classed for the level of difficulty in handling or training, starting at maybe toy breeds through to large gaurdian breeds. Maybe some sort of test could be sat to prove your commitment and knowledge about the dog you wish to own. It may relax the laws against dangerous dogs and stop many careless idiots owning dangerous dogs, or will it just cause a load of unecessary red tape allowing the authorities to delve into our countryside activties.

I think this would go the same way as any other licence wether its tv,firearm,rod,driving,game or any other sort of licence...

only the law abiding would bother spending the money and complying with restrictions.Then all the bone idle benefit cheats and illegal immigrants in this country would not bother and get their licence paid for by the rest of us. :thumbdown:

I think tighter restrictions on the breeding of dogs would be addressing the root of the problem and reduce the number of unwanted or uncontrolled dogs in the country.Of course there would be those who carry on breeding to excess but I think regulating breeders would be easier to do than regulating owners? I'm no expert so just an opinion. :)

I dont think it would make a difference , people will still treat animals poorly even if they pay a fortune for them & have to have a licence sadly :(

Yes licence avoidance will always happen but it also makes things difficult for the uneducated dog owners and maybe it would minimise dog attacks and at least give the authorities some power to do something about it.

Do you remember licences at I think seven and six or something like that (f--k and I am only 39)

We did used to have a dog licence but so many people never bothered to pay they gave up with the idea.

Today, certain dogs are banned and we have things such as the dangerous dogs act, and special licences are required for keeping certain animals in the UK.

This will never stop people flouting the law or animal cruelty.

Murder is illegal almost all over the world, but it doesn't stop it happening!

I dont think it would make a difference , people will still treat animals poorly even if they pay a fortune for them & have to have a licence sadly :(

Yes licence avoidance will always happen but it also makes things difficult for the uneducated dog owners and maybe it would minimise dog attacks and at least give the authorities some power to do something about it.

Do you remember licences at I think seven and six or something like that (f--k and I am only 39)

wernt they 37 & half pence or some such amount :laugh: i only just remember shillings & ten bobs & i am older that you , it seems the sort of people who neglect through ignorence are usually adults & have multi species households , you know what i mean cats mainly & they allow them to breed through ignorence , creating a massive problem with kittens who then breed etc, flea infested places , so any dogs in that household arnt going to have much of a life i shouldnt think

Animal collectors , thats the phrase i think :laugh:

wernt they 37 & half pence or some such amount :laugh: i only just remember shillings & ten bobs & i am older that you , it seems the sort of people who neglect through ignorence are usually adults & have multi species households , you know what i mean cats mainly & they allow them to breed through ignorence , creating a massive problem with kittens who then breed etc, flea infested places , so any dogs in that household arnt going to have much of a life i shouldnt think

seven and six= seven bob and six pence = 7x5 + 2 1/2 = 37 1/2p bag on I have a great memory (not). I have a cure for cats.

Edited by leegreen

seven and six= seven bob and six pence = 7x5 + 2 1/2 = 37 1/2p bag on I have a great memory (not). I have a cure for cats.

Oh your good :toast::clapper::clapper:

Showing your age now Kay :clapper: your spot on the last time we had dog licences in this country,they were 371/2p I remember trying to buy one,and the woman at the post office didn't even know where they kept them. :clapper:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

We still have them in Eire. I have a drawer full of the damn things here. Costs me €12.70 per year, per Dog. I don't know what they do with the money. Don't educate people about how to look after damn Dogs, that's for sure.

I always buy them though, and keep them up to date. If for no other reason than, should some scouting mission from Dublin ever turn up at my gate, I can whip them all out and go :feck:

You must be joking. Just what's needed - more bureaucracy, more regulation, more official interference in our day to day lives.

My dad went to court for not having a licence for one of our JRTs. He'd excaped and spent the night howling outside the house of a GSD bitch that was in season. Why punish such ambition? ;)