Hard Mouth On A Dog.

This has not been done for a while, how many of you will tolerate a hard mouthed dog? Personally I think next to stock worrying it is the worst fault a dog can have. I know some will tolerate it as I have seen in photos of dogs retrieving dead rabbits.

I am not knocking any breed here as every dog has the potential to be hard mouthed. Your thoughts please.

TC

• Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive had nice soft mouthed retrievers, in the past. Now I’ve the worm has turned lol. I enjoy the dog working and the meats a by-product for me these days. To compare to stock worrying is a bit ove

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people w

I tried the old walk away from mine on lamp after about two fields and a bit of cat and mouse. I stop he stops type thing he came with in a couple of yards. Tried a second time again walked nearly bac

Posted Images

Yes interesting to see peoples ideas. Not sure of your options either really. if a dog is hard mouthed not much you can do other than get rid which I couldn't do my self. I was expecting mine to be a cruncher but lamped rabbits now nine times out of ten he just drops on the floor alive and kicking and stands over them. Netted ones he does tend to leather a bit but getting better as we go on and I am pretty sure he will just pin them in time. He doesn't retrieve at the moment and though it would been nice I don't lose any sleep over it and it may come yet. Also if the front is bruised you can still use the saddle and back legs so not all is lost

I'd be mightily disappointed if all my bunnies were retreived dead,id buy a shotgun instead

Both mine are very soft mouthed but I've never seen it as a "good quality". Doesn't make a bit of difference to me. My old bitch killed every rabbit she ever caught and I didn't mind one bit.

my dads bitch is very very hard mouthed she is spot on with recall everything else but once she has hold of something there's no letting go the other week we was out she took two rabbits 1 rabbit she took and some how managed to grab the rabbit but also had a grip off the wire fence as she grabbed it the dog was hanging off the fence lol i couldn't get it off for s min or two second rabbit she picks up she just locks her jaw the rabbit ended up if two pieces were i pulled it to try get her to let go,bad in some cases but also works in her favor in others

My take is if it's purely a rabbit dog then it's a problem but if the dog is an all rounder then what can u do. And if you want rabbits for the table then an air rifle is the way to go.

Fair comment, but you often hear on here of dogs that will lay in to bigger stuff yet still retrieve rabbits alive. And to be honest I do not disbelieve the people who say it.

TC

• Like 6

i found that alot of bull xs especially out of the pye line were natural retrievers live to hand yet seen whippets crunch them to bits it boils down to what you accept and whether you sell them on some become hard mouthed by other dogs trying to snatch there catch

• Like 3

My take is if it's purely a rabbit dog then it's a problem but if the dog is an all rounder then what can u do. And if you want rabbits for the table then an air rifle is the way to go.

Fair comment, but you often hear on here of dogs that will lay in to bigger stuff yet still retrieve rabbits alive. And to be honest I do not disbelieve the people who say it.

TC

my blak bitch bring them back live she quater bull

My dogs will do everything and retrieve rabbits live to hand ... I have to have dogs that retrieve live to hand as when you are working in people's gardens and in public areas the majority of people want to see mr rabbit fetched back to you unharmed so that it can be dispatched humanely rather than the big nasty dog killing it .......

• Like 10

Ive had nice soft mouthed retrievers, in the past.

Now I’ve the worm has turned lol.

I enjoy the dog working and the meats a by-product for me these days.

To compare to stock worrying is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

The thing with a hard mouth, it can’t be trained out of a dog.

With stocks worrying, you’ve a decent chance of curing it, one way or another.

My pal had a great dog.

Killed every rabbit stone dead, had knack of crunching the heads, the meat was perfect.

I could see some don’t want bruised meat.

I don’t mind.

Give me the best dog with a first time strike, stamina and intelligence. killing plenty gear, over an average soft mouthed dog..

Id not care about a hard mouth, dogs can have worst traits believe me… :laugh::laugh:

• Like 13

Ive had nice soft mouthed retrievers, in the past.

Now Ive the worm has turned lol.

I enjoy the dog working and the meats a by-product for me these days.

To compare to stock worrying is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

The thing with a hard mouth, it cant be trained out of a dog.

With stocks worrying, youve a decent chance of curing it, one way or another.

My pal had a great dog.

Killed every rabbit stone dead, had knack of crunching the heads, the meat was perfect.

I could see some dont want bruised meat.

I dont mind.

Give me the best dog with a first time strike, stamina and intelligence. killing plenty gear, over an average soft mouthed dog..

Id not care about a hard mouth, dogs can have worst traits believe me :laugh::laugh:

Spot on that ?

terryd how old is your dog ? Did you learn him to retrieve as pup atb Flacko

to be honest it was never a priority for me all ways other things I needed to do. Also he has all ways been possessive over stuff which I am now getting past as he catches more and its going well. So before I could even think about him bringing stuff back I had to get him willing to give it to me at all with out being daft lol. But gently gently catchy monkey ;) oh and his 20 months I think now but this is for another thread :thumbs:

Edited by terryd

TC

If a dog has had a good nip off teeth at a young age then maybe he will just be hard on anything he grabs mate. There's so many different experiences the dog will go through as its growing up. And maybe the dogs confidence will also have a major effect if he's running in half hearted then he's is gonna mangle what ever it is.