Putanges - The Movie!

I don't want anyone to stop, particularly if they:- enjoy it, do a good job, but most importantly put a 'real' value to the trapping of the mole.

If someone does do it for permission or cheap for a bit of beer money and the challenge what happens when you give up or circumstances change and they don't go shooting/ferreting. Or they come to their senses when they get nagged by their clients when they have problems with moles when it is hosing down with rain, the frost is biting and cracking their fingers and think what am I fannying about with this for buttons.

The landowner rings around for a molecatcher, you discuss terms and you hear a choking noise on the line and a deep intake of breath then 'how much???' the last guy did it for free/a couple of quid-how can you justify that price catching a mole is catching a mole!' Like has been said everyone loves a bargain. Most will be farmers and be used to being in a position where they get bugger all for working 24/7/365 ( I sympathise with them as I am from a farming family ) but this is not the way I am prepared or can afford to work. It is hard work selling/justifying your charge to some people and selling is not what I enjoy or am any good at.

I have no problem with competition if the playing field is level-ish and I have good relations with many pesties local to me and try not to step on toes as there is work for us all as long as everyone has a sensible cost structure, there is even some cooperation with some and advice and help given freely for tricky pests or situations.

The bulk of my income comes from commercial/industrial pest control so I do not and could not solely survive on mole control but I know people that do, I do the moles because like many others I get a masochistic enjoyment from it and I can give a comprehensive pest service to clients.

Just have a sit down and have a think about a permision of a 1000 acres there will be a lot of moles, say you catch 50, multiply it by £x per mole, or maybe another way- how long to catch 50 moles multiplied by £x per hour, would you pay that to lamp/ferret/shoot a piece of ground even if you do enjoy chasing the gentleman in velvet.

• Like 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Way With The Putanges   You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are o

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.   I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting

I trap moles on my permission? I already had the permission so I'm not doing it "for permission" just to help the farmer out and I enjoy doing it.

Sorry but I'm not gonna stop either lol

I fully understand, where your coming from, here ?,...but, seriously ,...dealing with 'mole damage', should NEVER be a 'free service' ! (well, in 99.9 %, of cases, i suppose !,..lol) If any person is removing moles successfully, for any landowner,etc,...for NOTHING !,...they just devalue, THEMSELVES ?

Edited by earth-thrower

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.

I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting pigeons on the land. The farmer kept telling me how he could charge fifty quid a day for pigeon shooting and I got it for nothing. So one day I packed my gear up and told him to get someone else in. If he could get somebody to pay fifty quid to sit out in the cold all day usually with the chance of five or six shots and come running ASAP whenever the field got hammered he was welcome. Later that day my mate phoned me to say that normal service could be resumed.

If someone can get a bit of rabbiting or shooting in return for mole trapping then good luck to them. It is no different to me asking a sheep farmer for half my fee in meat.

• Like 3

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.

I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting pigeons on the land. The farmer kept telling me how he could charge fifty quid a day for pigeon shooting and I got it for nothing. So one day I packed my gear up and told him to get someone else in. If he could get somebody to pay fifty quid to sit out in the cold all day usually with the chance of five or six shots and come running ASAP whenever the field got hammered he was welcome. Later that day my mate phoned me to say that normal service could be resumed.

If someone can get a bit of rabbiting or shooting in return for mole trapping then good luck to them. It is no different to me asking a sheep farmer for half my fee in meat.

No problem, your welcome to have the last word, on it ? ha ha,....its just my PERSONAL opinion (about mole damage). It can be hard enough graft, to get the 'results' you need to make a real difference, on the ground your on ?,..& if someone wants too make that effort for FREE, then more fool them,...lol Also, your "still" doing the owner/occupier of the land, a great favour, even offering to do the rabbits, or shoot problem vermin, for FREE !,....never mind any 'bartering', over it ? lol You really have to ask yourself, "whos really doing a favour for who, here ?" (im just trying to picture me PAYING the landowner, for the priviledge of taking his rabbits (whatever method), or shooting pigeon, vermin,etc,.....NOT A CHANCE IN HELL !,.....ha ha ha )

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

There are plenty of people willing to pay for pigeon shooting. In the north of England there is some sort of club, syndicate or similar whereby shooters pay the guy who runs it to be able to shoot pigeons on the land he has obtained permission for. And one of my relatives who had shot rabbits on land in Scotland for years was asked not to come any more as the farmer had been offered payment by somebody who was selling rabbits to butchers.

It isn't always black and white.

No problem, your welcome to have the last word, on it ? ha ha,....its just my PERSONAL opinion (about mole damage). It can be hard enough graft, to get the 'results' you need to make a real difference, on the ground your on ?,..& if someone wants too make that effort for FREE, then more fool them,...lol Also, your "still" doing the owner/occupier of the land, a great favour, even offering to do the rabbits, or shoot problem vermin, for FREE !,....never mind any 'bartering', over it ? lol You really have to ask yourself, "whos really doing a favour for who, here ?" (im just trying to picture me PAYING the landowner, for the priviledge of taking his rabbits (whatever method), or shooting pigeon, vermin,etc,.....NOT A CHANCE IN HELL !,.....ha ha ha )

If you view this purely from a pest control company perspective then yes, it seems foolish to "work for free" but if it is part of a permission, then those catching the pests do not see it "as free".

its no different to volunteers helping clear scrub etc at National Trust properties to encourage flora/fauna and someone who`s job is garden maintenance being denied the income

• Like 1

There are plenty of people willing to pay for pigeon shooting. In the north of England there is some sort of club, syndicate or similar whereby shooters pay the guy who runs it to be able to shoot pigeons on the land he has obtained permission for. And one of my relatives who had shot rabbits on land in Scotland for years was asked not to come any more as the farmer had been offered payment by somebody who was selling rabbits to butchers.

It isn't always black and white.

Exactly ?......& i would never pay to shoot rabbits or woodies, myself,.....thats all,....lol

:hmm:Well,..many years ago,..both me and Father invested good money, for the rabbiting rights over certain areas.. We watched the places first,..made sure it was viable,...then put in our bids,...we were rarely alone,...quite a few other teams had their eyes on an earner...Dead rabbits fetched a pound a piece,..live'un's....a whole lot more. :whistling: .

In most cases,.we got our money back in the first few weeks of snaring and trapping,..and then,..it was all profit.. :victory:

Ain't life funny though,...first, I paid them,...then in the latter years,.they paid me,... :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

:hmm:Well,..many years ago,..both me and Father invested good money, for the rabbiting rights over certain areas..

We watched the places first,..made sure it was viable,...then put in our bids,...we were rarely alone,...quite a few other teams had their eyes on an earner...Dead rabbits fetched a pound a piece,..live'un's....a whole lot more. :whistling: .

In most cases,.we got our money back in the first few weeks of snaring and trapping,..and then,..it was all profit.. :victory:

Ain't life funny though,...first, I paid them,...then in the latter years,.they paid me,... :laugh:

It's funny how things turn round Phil, i now get paid to go on places i used to get chased off

• Like 1

:hmm:Well,..many years ago,..both me and Father invested good money, for the rabbiting rights over certain areas..

We watched the places first,..made sure it was viable,...then put in our bids,...we were rarely alone,...quite a few other teams had their eyes on an earner...Dead rabbits fetched a pound a piece,..live'un's....a whole lot more. :whistling: .

It's funny how things turn round Phil, i now get paid to go on places i used to get chased off

I ended up doing rabbiting and pigeon shooting helping a mate who ran a shoot that included areas where I had been chased off in my teens. :whistling:

What goes round comes round as they say.

• Like 2

Thats interesting, cause its not something i would even have contemplated, at any stage,round these parts ? For one simple reason,....lol,,,,because, as far back as im aware,....rabbits have just not been around, in any decent numbers, to even at least consider that, as a possible option ? (sadly) Before my time however, i honestly have no idea,.......lol

Edited by earth-thrower
  • 2 months later...