Picking A Pup From A Litter....

I picked one of my runners and the other I had a choice of . . . . one. The second was much easier!

With the first, I just looked at the eyes, and picked the pup that looked smart.

As said, if the litter is even and well bred, they are all much of a muchness.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I've bred myself I just keep what no one else wants,of my current dogs,lad gave me Boots as it hadn't been sold,Don dog my mate just chose it out of the litter and shipped him over from Ireland,the

Roybo: the sire is owned by a friend who's had his line 30+ years so I've seen other dogs from it and they all do well and have a nice temperament too, well dodger I've always said from day one I like

True that. I've always put far too much thought into picking pups.   My first running dog was a saluki/whippet/greyhound bred from 2 local (preban) hare dogs. I wanted to pick a bold, confident pup

who's to say boldness has anything to do with drive, I've never owned a submissive collie type, but I do own a dog who was the top dog in the litter and it doesn't suit me, that's all i can base my choices on, as I said it's down to the individual , our experiences shape our view, I've not seen many litters and I'm certainly not experienced to give an opinion, only stating my own, collies don't suit me full stop. As for all much of a muchness , I've seen plenty of variation in the few litters I've seen and surely the 'perk' of breeding your own is to have a pick, as said go with your gut and get them amongst stuff, good luck.

I agree when picking collies, when I used to work sheep with em I always picked the pups that sat around the middle of the pecking order unless after a hard yard type dog that need to get in the sheeps face. The real bold pups seem to give you most trouble with putting too much pressure on the sheep, even getting snappy. Especially for trials, I find it easier to encourage to dog to push up on them a bit more if needed when small errors can be costly

Roybo: the sire is owned by a friend who's had his line 30+ years so I've seen other dogs from it and they all do well and have a nice temperament too, well dodger I've always said from day one I liked a certain pup she's not as forward as the other but she can certainly hold her own against the others in the litter, 1D87705E-E3A3-4D0E-938A-017DDFA13069_zps

That be the one to go for then
I think I'll have to have this one.. If I seen her a year from now and she turned into a beauty I'd be sick..!
And she will . . .

Lucky dip ... Put all bitches in a box close your eyes and pick one .... It's all about luck of the draw

Go with your gut I say but if you aren't sure then it would be a lucky dip. Even if you have gone with your gut its still the luck of the draw. I'm sure that whatever you pick you'll be good anyway because nurture not nature!

I'd never pick the most dominant in the litter, been there before with old bitch, always thought she knew better, always pushing her luck, always trying to be "the" pack leader even within the house...I couldn't have another dog like that ever again. She had 1/4 collie but looked like a greyhound

• Like 2

i think that a large part of a dogs temperament has formed by even a few weeks of age. and although as working dog people we should be able to sort out temperament issues to some degree, why make your job harder? these days i pick the pup which comes over, says hello politely then gets on with what its doing. not the one thats in your face or the one staring at the corner , although these can stillmake decent dogs you will have a more dificult time of it, so take the easy route!

good luck.