you can do it yourself but only a rfd cann put it on your ticket, you would be better getting a fac air rifle and keeping the sub 12lbs one your got because once you have upit to fac you cant down grade it back to a sub 12lbs and at times a sub 12 lbs rifle is useful when you cant use a fac rifle.

I suspected as much I've a few airguns and would have no problem tuning one to fac levels, just needed to know if anyone had done it this way, reckon I'll have to have a word with an RFD to find out how to go about it thanks for the reply's guys

Take your rifle and your ticket to your RFD. He will enter the rifle details including serial number onto your ticket and duplicate the info onto another form which he sends to the issuing police force.

Job done.

Two things:

A low end power FAC air rifle is not worth the bother (sub 20 ft/lbs in my opinion), FAC airgun is questionable anyway, again my opinion only.

Once an airgun is up rated it CANNOT EVER be de rated to non FAC.

Look at the prices of second hand otherwise identical airguns, non-fac & fac, fac maybe worth 1/2 on a good day?

Your choice and your money, I've not owned one but I have shot one, and have a friend who has a 32 ft/lb pre-charge, I couldn't tell the difference

and he had trouble finding a pellet that worked, I'm sticking with my 22rf and a 12ft/lb .177 HW100 for around the farmyard at least.

As I have a slot on my ticket for a 22 fac air rifle does any one know if I'm allowed to tune an air rifle to fac levels myself and put it on ticket or do I have to go through an rfd/gunsmith to get it

If you want to put it on your ticket yourself, what you need is a letter of clarification from your licensing department permitting you to do so. I still have a letter for such, but times have moved on and departments may vary on their outlook.

You have lots of perfectly accurate info on the FAC paperwork issue, you can also send your FAC back to your region and tell them what you have done and they will add it, taking it to a local RFD is probably a better option.

As for the viability of FAC air, that is down to the individual. I have 12ft lb, FAC Air, assorted rimfires, centrefires and shotguns. I have a use for my FAC air, but personally, it is probably the rifle I use least.

Edited by Deker

Someone tell that bloke in the video not to mix yards and centimetres. It's either yards and inches or metres and centimetres. (Sorry, just my pet hate.) :nono:

Indeed, 36ftlb barracudas do not drop 7cm at 55yd from a 45yd zero. For anybody wanting info on fac air may I suggest Ted Biers( Edgunusa) videos. The chaps knows his stuff.

Edited by stillair1