Career Suggestions?

Stick at it mate, your investing in your future, I know all to well your position, but worth it in the long run. I worked 60 hrs a week for 75 quid which paid for my car in my 2nd year in my apprenticeship but when I got into my last year the pay rise was more than enough to give up my night cleaning job and now well good money is there to be had. Always think of your future and the employment opertunities it opens for you around the world. You have to start at the bottom rung of the ladder but the only way is up after that. Good luck

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my brother in law is a stone mason, earns very good money and is crying out for apprentices. stick at it, two or three years sounds like forever when you are 18 but bekieve me it is no time at all, yo

Sounds like a great trade to learn, you can't pick up a trade like that in university. It could lead to fantastic projects like repairs to historic buildings, churches and extending existing building

Doing little pointing jobs and walling repairs would be a good way to bring in some extra cash in free time. Not many tools required and have the builders / stone merchants deliver your materials to t

Stick with it mate i couldnt afford to drive until i was 21 its annoying watching your mates with flash cars but you will in time get a better one and you will have earmed it and paid for it yourself unlike them whos parents probally bought it for them.

• Like 1

Try to get on the roads. Best thing I ever did. You will earn more money than you know what to do with and have a laugh along the way.

I regret spending the first 7 years of my working life getting a degree in electronics and working as an electronic service engineer.

Never knew there was that much money in working on the roads?

I work on the railway and there's serious cash to earn if you have your head screwed on.

Try to get on the roads. Best thing I ever did. You will earn more money than you know what to do with and have a laugh along the way.

I regret spending the first 7 years of my working life getting a degree in electronics and working as an electronic service engineer.

Never knew there was that much money in working on the roads?

I work on the railway and there's serious cash to earn if you have your head screwed on.

Depends what you do on the roads I suppose. Lots off aspects of "road work". Traffic management, Tarmac, white lines, cats eyes, barrier work, CCTV and average speed cameras, the bridge lads, loop cutters. Then you've got supervisors, safety officers, surveyors. Some of these lads are doing £50-60k no problem. And then some.

I've got a mate on the rail and he's earning good coin.

All the jobs have got a few things in common though. Shit weather, cold, live traffic, long hours and no time off ?

Farrier/Horse dentist

Everyone seems to have a horse nowdays

Train as the above and after 5 yrs you building up a mobile round.

After another few yrs your Nameing your price.

My sisters farrier is minted. Something I wish I had gone into.

"Stonemason" covers a few different things, your basic stone cutting/laying type, monumental, and bench work, the full basic apprenticeship is about 12 years, longer and more complicated if you want to go the whole hog, basic stone cutting and laying can make you a good living in the right jobs though.

Its one of those jobs where you have to really like doing it, proper vocational stuff, but if i was young and getting into it i would pay as much into a pension as possible and try and get out at 55 ish, its got loads of downsides for your health, constantly cutting/dressing stone hammers your joints, heavy lifting, stone dust is deadly even in small doses, and unless you live in an area where stonework is common be prepared to travel, or relocate.

I'm a bricky by trade, but i worked a lot with a mate who's a mason, its way more interesting than just bashing bricks up, better job satisfaction by a mile, you have to put a bit of yourself into every job, bit like being an artist i suppose, but every job has its down sides.