To all allotment holders when you plant your crops do you do them in rows the old traditional way or do you make little individual plots IE using wood slabs or grass, a few pics of plots would help as well so I can get a idea before putting work in and finding out I've done it wrong thanks?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From this.     ......To this.     ......To this.         Three plots. Two down each side, One across the top, with a "T" shaped path in the middle. Three year crop rotation.

Plot split up different growing areas  

Mr tea pot, I'm no expert but you get out what you put I and what works for one man might not work for the next   I've had that many people on my allotment tell me this and that you just have to loo

Posted Images

Some people make raised beds or divide up the whole plot into smaller bits ,to manage it easier,also helps defining what's growing where,then you can crop rotate or plant something different next time,stop build up of diseases that are specific to certain types of produce.

• Like 2

Plot split up different growing areas

ferretingpics010_zpsf83e6317.jpg

This is what I was trying to explain,also if you dig spade along edge of paths and throw it towards the middle,so the beds are higher than the paths,

it helps stop the weeds or grass from the path going onto the plot and the soil will be warmer ,I was shocked how much warmer it was when I was weeding on a overcast day.

And the slabs make great paths and make for less weeding.

And I make sure I dont really have anything metal down on my plot as when metal prices go up,it tends to go missing.

Not forgetting the chickens MR TP a very worthwhile hobby for me. Cant beat fresh eggs and i enjoy breeding every few years. There a good bunch on here for advice re growing veg and chickens. Your plot should keep you busy good luck.

ferretingpics136_zps43017cc0.jpg

• Like 1

Mr T. Here we go again. :thumbs: First of all you are in the enviable position of choice. I personally go for the traditional way, meaning rows down the length of the allotment. Very easy to remember if you want crop rotation. The thing I hate above all else is gardeners who seem to want to grow more scaffold boards and 2 x 2 slabs. The ground is for for growing for your family and friends so why not just have a walkway between veg plots. :hmm: I know it makes the job look nice by the way but slabs?? anyhow that's my only pet hate. Back to your allotment in general. You obviously are getting it cleared and are unable to grow much this year so my advice is to completely dig it over and then cover with a layer of cow muck. Wait till Spring, set out your areas for tatties, brassicas and then root crops. Have your first year learning and letting the allotment pay for itself and then decide whether or not to split into growing ares ie raised beds etc. Worked for me. :victory: