Advice Needed

Hi boys and girls, just wanted some advice when I take my beddy whippet and my lab out both boys!! My beddy whippet who is 10 months constantly hassles my lab, putting his front legs on his back biteing the back of his neck just hassling 24/7 any body got any suggestion on how to stop him because it's p*****g me off and my lab!!!

I know he's obviously trying it on but what's the best way to stop it??

Cheers

Edited by stevo79

As has been already said until the older dog sorts the young one out I think it's a hard one to crack. Sure the young dog will grow out of it, but certainly helps if the older dog puts him in his place. I would have thought getting him more focused on hunting ie plenty of scent on the ground will help atb

Play games with the lurcher: tug, fetch, chasing a lure on a bit of string. Make yourself the interesting fun one to be with. Keep the lab out of the picture while you are playing with the lurcher. He is just too full of energy and frustrated drive to leave the Lab alone. And if you do take them out together keep one on the lead while the other is loose. Don't tolerate this kind of bullying, because if the Lab does decide to get tough with the lurcher one day you may end up with two dogs which aren't pals at all. The lurcher is plenty old enough to be taught not to behave like this, and it isn't fair on the Lab. You need to be consistent and firm with the lurcher. Use all that energy and drive to train the lurcher, and get him out where he can learn to hunt rabbits. Ferreting would be a good way to focus his attention.

• Like 1

Its a pup it wants to play it thinks it's there to play as soon as he's had his first kill ( catch ) and his prey drive kicks in it will be a thing of the past the only thing to do is to walk it on its own until then if you don't want it to play in my opinion ATB BB

Edited by bunnyboiler

In my experience you can tell the pup as many times as you like to stop messing about with the lab but until he lab makes it's own feelings known it will be a constant battle and a source of frustration for all concerned. One of the benefits of having multiple dogs, I feel, is that the older dog should teach some manners I have always seen this as a positive as most pups will push the boundaries with other dogs at some point and they only seem I learn from a bit of a telling off occasionally as they would with human interaction atb

• Like 1

In my experience you can tell the pup as many times as you like to stop messing about with the lab but until he lab makes it's own feelings known it will be a constant battle and a source of frustration for all concerned. One of the benefits of having multiple dogs, I feel, is that the older dog should teach some manners I have always seen this as a positive as most pups will push the boundaries with other dogs at some point and they only seem I learn from a bit of a telling off occasionally as they would with human interaction atb

You should never expect an older dog to tell a pup off. It's great when you have an older dog that can correct a pup in a controlled manner, and teach it respect, but if that older dog has the kind of temperament that merely puts up with bullying, you not only teach the pup that it can behave in this manner, but you risk making the older dog miserable. It will either continue to be miserable, or it may one day decide to retaliate for real, and if the pup is of a temperament that won't take that kind of retaliation lying down you may end up with two dogs that can't be left alone together and who don't trust you either. It is your job to stop that sort of behaviour, not the older dog's.

My older lab is very laid back and I don't think he's ever going to put him in his place. I'm just concerned as sky cats mentioned that it will start to make my lab miserable, which I think when out it is, as he can't have a good run without being pestered. Once we have been out for a bit and he's had a good run it does start to cool off. They do play quite a bit together, but I don't want the lab to be bullied either. So would you advise to just keep my lab in a lead when out for a while? I have been out with a friend with a wippet and she put him straight ASAP he left her alone and was just following her everywhere.

Thanks everyone.

The young dog needs teaching manners, and it's not enough to just keep the Lab on a lead. Engage the youngster with games, as I said earlier. Make YOU the focus for his energy, not the other dog. Neither is it fair to keep the Lab on a lead all the time. The teenage time is trying for everyone, and the better you manage it through training and games and work the better for everyone. Just telling the young dog off won't work at all, and he'll simply see you as a block to his fun rather than someone who gets his attention and focus.

My pup was constantly grabbing his.mother by the throat,and charging her down, to a point where it was dangerous .

I found keeping one on the lead and the other free ,solved it.

Every time the youngster gets rough put him on the lead and bollock him.

He'll get the message when he spends more time on the lead than off it. Just be consistant and firm.

But he should grow out of it.

My pup was constantly grabbing his.mother by the throat,and charging her down, to a point where it was dangerous .

I found keeping one on the lead and the other free ,solved it.

Every time the youngster gets rough put him on the lead and bollock him.

He'll get the message when he spends more time on the lead than off it. Just be consistant and firm.

But he should grow out of it.

keeping your pup on a lead turn him gay.so be care full

• Like 1