Is The Apbt The True Bulldog Or A Terrier Cross?

On 21/06/2020 at 18:19, Greb147 said:

Wrong about what?

Look at pics of the Southern White's in the 1800's, they look more Bulldog than any type I know of. It's only guesswork but these farm dogs of the south visibly had no terrier blood in them, maybe these catch dogs/farm dogs were renditions of the original Bulldog. 

Speaking of the American Bulldogs ability as an hog dog, I've seen DVD's of them doing the job just fine. The breeder of my cousins dog in the early 2000's gave him a copy when he bought his pup, I'll see if he still has it. 

Of course they won't have the gameness of an APBT but that extra weight and strength gives the dog more stopping power. I don't know what dogs you have seen but these American Bulldogs were certainly doing the job needed. 

It does make me chuckle when someone who has actually hunted pigs with said breed is told they are wrong based on a video watched on another continent by someone who has never actually done it ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In certain circles the term " Bulldog " within the breed of American Pit Bull Terriers is reserved specifically for the very best examples of the breed......" that dogs a real bulldog " for example wo

I know exactly where Alan lives?.I was at his house last year when he gifted me an undershot male pat which didn't make it.Known him around 20 years. One of the best catchdogs I seen weighed 30 l

I watched the above videos.They are hogs in a pin who have their spirits broke.These type are generally fat also.They have no fight left in them because dumb rednecks put catchdogs on them every Satur

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Tyla said:

It does make me chuckle when someone who has actually hunted pigs with said breed is told they are wrong based on a video watched on another continent by someone who has never actually done it ?

On the face of it ,it does seem a bit silly ,and if  greb had threw in some tips about how to actually hunt\catch \dispatch a hog ,I would agree ,but regards history and origins ,I reckon we are all on an equal footing ,and his theory ,ideas are as worth airing as a chaps who is right in among it .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

So what was on the video tapes, CGI? ??

Only because someone has hunted quarry with one dog breed doesn't mean others don't use others. All that tells me is he's obviously not seen the right AB's in action because if they can't hold on to a hog whilst the hunter gets there then they aren't good dogs. 

It does make me chuckle that someone thinks that you should take someone's word as gospel in hunting just because they've taken part in it. 

I've seen countless videos of AB's doing the business as catch dogs. 

To say they are no good is silly when people still use them to this day. 

Edited by Greb147
40 minutes ago, Astanley said:

On the face of it ,it does seem a bit silly ,and if  greb had threw in some tips about how to actually hunt\catch \dispatch a hog ,I would agree ,but regards history and origins ,I reckon we are all on an equal footing ,and his theory ,ideas are as worth airing as a chaps who is right in among it .

I think he is talking about the American Bulldog as a pig dog which is silly really seeing as it's their bread & butter for working strains. 

They are great catch dogs, whether they are as good as an APBT that I don't know but that extra weight will give them a bit more stopping power IMO.

On 21/06/2020 at 20:51, Greb147 said:

The above AB was my cousins, he didn't do much with it but it was a powerful dog and had lots of drive and finish  when he did try him out. 

It would pull shrubs and small trees out the ground by the roots and on walks would randomly jump up and lock on to branches and just hang off them. ?

A shame you can't get the proper work for them over here, a few lads local to me had some AB/Greyhound lurchers. 

They didn't reinvent the wheel but were decent on bambi. 

Not that I’ve done it but you can get the work for them here as many have done . 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Not that I’ve done it but you can get the work for them here as many have done . 

That I've not seen tbh but to claim that the AB is no good as a catch dog is comical if you ask me. 

Yes there has been a lot of shite bred and peddled but the genuine working strains are as good as any breeds at catch work IMO. Put it this way I've seen more Dogo's jacking on tape than AB's. 

Edited by Greb147
6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That I've not seen tbh but to claim that the AB is no good as a catch dog is comical if you ask me. 

Yes there has been a lot of shite bred and peddled but the genuine working strains are as good as any breeds at catch work IMO. Put it this way I've seen more Dogo's jacking on tape than AB's. 

Yeah, but tape is a dangerous quarry ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

It’s not really something I think about to be honest as I think they are just fat useless windless jumped up shithouse inbred mongrels 

but hey each to their own ? I genuinely don’t see what one can do if any worth really ? 

8 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

It’s not really something I think about to be honest as I think they are just fat useless windless jumped up shithouse inbred mongrels 

but hey each to their own ? I genuinely don’t see what one can do if any worth really ? 

They are used as catch dogs and are good at their job, what else should be asked of them? 

Not all lines are like the Johnson type, you can't have seen the Scott, Painter/Margentina lines? 

Most are sub-100lbs and very serious dogs, bred for work. 

Edited by Greb147
2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Are they though ? 

or like other things are they not just peddled as they look the part but are all show frames ? 

don’t see many used in oz etc 

Of course they are used as catch dogs, I'm sure you will find some footage on YouTube. 

You're just used to seeing the big slobbery heavy Johnson types that are likely useless. 

Look up those other lines and you'll be surprised at their capabilities. 

The dogs job is to grab the hog and hold it until it's dispatched, what else do you think they should be doing? 

3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Of course they are used as catch dogs, I'm sure you will find some footage on YouTube. 

You're just used to seeing the big slobbery heavy Johnson types that are likely useless. 

Look up those other lines and you'll be surprised at their capabilities. 

The dogs job is to grab the hog and hold it until it's dispatched, what else do you think they should be doing? 

I wouldn’t know as I’ve never seen what a bulldog of any type would do etc or ran with pigs

just interested in thinking what you think they should be doing when a man on here has said they are useless . ?

you can’t trust YouTube as any type of source for reliability for hunting we don’t do as you’ll get scopes of all types of abilities etc 

9 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I wouldn’t know as I’ve never seen what a bulldog of any type would do etc or ran with pigs

just interested in thinking what you think they should be doing when a man on here has said they are useless . ?

you can’t trust YouTube as any type of source for reliability for hunting we don’t do as you’ll get scopes of all types of abilities etc 

What do I think they should be doing? 

Well I think they should grab hold of the hog when released from the slip and keep hold until the hunter comes to dispatch it. 

They are not hunting dogs, they are catch dogs nothing more nothing less. 

I've seen a hog hunting DVD and that's the only catch dogs they were using, all the dogs were doing their job. 

Now to try and say they are useless is clearly not true, even APBT lads rate them as catch dogs. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

What do I think? 

Well I think they should grab hold of the hog when released from the slip and keep hold until the hunter comes to dispatch it. 

They are not hunting dogs, they are catch dogs nothing more nothing less. 

I've seen a hog hunting DVD and that's the only catch dogs they used, all dogs were doing their job. 

Now to try and say they are useless is clearly not true, even APBT lads rate them as catch dogs. 

You've seen a hog hunting DVD ??

And now you are a world renowned authority on the subject ??

giphy-34.gif.3aeced2d85722ffc2498bc3ae090697d.gif

• Haha 1