Covert Camera Detecters

Every year we seem to get more and more attention from the antis, we've had trackers found on cars and found cameras on artificials every year they seem to be using more sophisticated equipment. Obviously we always work within the law but rather than being caught on camera and the footage being misinterpreted or misused would a covert camera detector be worth the investment, I've seen them for sale in the EDRD at £500, they're not exactly cheap, there are others on the internet and they vary in price dramatically. Has any one used one and are they worth considering.

that's a good one mate, often wondered if you refuse access to charities what is the laws on them using them we drone things to fly onto your property, without consent, where does the law draw the line when is it classed as invasion of privacy?

I suppose if the drones passing over private land without permission and it poses a risk of falling on you or your dogs there's no reason you shouldn't be able to blow it out the sky with a 12 bore ;)

I like the idea of a camera detector but we shouldn't have to work like that, if you see a camera that shouldn't be there claim it and sell it on ebay :)

I suppose it would be more useful for the packs to try and stay out of trouble around sets

Edited by MickyB
  • Like 1

I think most are missing the point here .The OP asks about camera detectors not what to do if you find one .The antis disguise them very well for those not familiar ,it is these that need detecting and destroying .Most hunts have their own detectors but they are available to us on the web if you look .Hollow logs are used to hide cameras as well as them wrapped in ivy etc .Our local hunt found one disguised as a fence post with an ir detector as well as a disgarded can .

• Like 4

That's exactly it Foxdropper its finding them, disposing of them isn't the problem. I was interested to know if anyone had used one and the pros and cons of different makes, what you need to pay for a decent one etc. Their seems a big difference in price on them.

How do they detect ?infa red?

Night vision picks any light source up, I use an IR laser illuminator which can't be seen with the naked eye but looking through night vision it looks how a normal lamp would in the fields.

I have a IR cctv camera in the garden and was in the fields up on an hill 500+ yards opposite, looked down on the house through the NV & the garden was lit up.

It has a lens cover on it with a small darkened glass window so the unit can be turned on in daytime but never tried it to see if it would pick IR up

• Like 1

How do they detect ?infa red?

Night vision picks any light source up, I use an IR laser illuminator which can't be seen with the naked eye but looking through night vision it looks how a normal lamp would in the fields.

I have a IR cctv camera in the garden and was in the fields up on an hill 500+ yards opposite, looked down on the house through the NV & the garden was lit up.

It has a lens cover on it with a small darkened glass window so the unit can be turned on in daytime but never tried it to see if it would pick IR up

A lot only use the IR when they take a picture ,so if your not looking at the camera when it takes the Picture you will miss it with night vision

• Like 1

Is it not illegal to put a video source on private property? If we all thought we could do that without permission then I could plant one in the neighbours house as his wife is a cracker!

Don't the police have to put signs up about speeding cameras to let you know they are there. Same for any property I would think. Any video like this could not be used in a court of law? Same if you get a call over the phone. Legally they have to tell you they are recording you..... If the recording devices are web based then the police should be contacted & owner could be traced through there IP address and prosecuted for illegal activities. We go about our business legally and I expect the ANTIs should too.....

Is it not illegal to put a video source on private property? If we all thought we could do that without permission then I could plant one in the neighbours house as his wife is a cracker!

Don't the police have to put signs up about speeding cameras to let you know they are there. Same for any property I would think. Any video like this could not be used in a court of law? Same if you get a call over the phone. Legally they have to tell you they are recording you..... If the recording devices are web based then the police should be contacted & owner could be traced through there IP address and prosecuted for illegal activities. We go about our business legally and I expect the ANTIs should too.....

You maybe right Corkman but there have been huntsman prosecuted on video evidence, the people filming in some cases were over a mile away! These Antis have one thing in mind discrediting at best prosecuting if at all possible and they will use any means to achieve it.

that the annoying thing about covert camaras with cctv you have to put signs up saying that they are there and recording to use the film or stills as evidence with out the signs the evidence is dismissed, it should be the same for covert camaras but it not one rule for one and another rule for everone else.

My take on it is this .You have to approach a suspected camera to trigger the ir .The detector i have access to will only pick up ir and not a dormant camera .The screen will show you where the ir originated from so its up to you to find the camera .They will be positioned with a good veiw of any earths so think where you would put one .On finding it you need to get into it and take out the memory card before anything else .More than one lad has been found with camera intact that then becomes an embarrassment should you be in the wrong place .Cut any locks off ,open the back and card is in a slot somewhere usually opposite battery source.Dont hang on to camera as each one has an ip address linked to it .Destroy sd card in fire .Couple of seasons back a hunt i visit found a camera and repositioned it with new card inserted .Filmed the scum coming back for camera .I think its on u tube .

• Like 4

My take on it is this .You have to approach a suspected camera to trigger the ir .The detector i have access to will only pick up ir and not a dormant camera .The screen will show you where the ir originated from so its up to you to find the camera .They will be positioned with a good veiw of any earths so think where you would put one .On finding it you need to get into it and take out the memory card before anything else .More than one lad has been found with camera intact that then becomes an embarrassment should you be in the wrong place .Cut any locks off ,open the back and card is in a slot somewhere usually opposite battery source.Dont hang on to camera as each one has an ip address linked to it .Destroy sd card in fire .Couple of seasons back a hunt i visit found a camera and repositioned it with new card inserted .Filmed the scum coming back for camera .I think its on u tube .

• Like 3