Advice On Supplements After Breaks/fractures

A good balanced, raw diet that contains plenty of bone should do the job. I've had two pups break toes over the years and they both healed very well with no later consequences.

what about calcium powder just bit on there food, if the the dog 9 months it still growing anyway up to 18 months, big or small dogs would need some deff up to 14 months old

A good balanced, raw diet that contains plenty of bone should do the job. I've had two pups break toes over the years and they both healed very well with no later consequences.

what about calcium powder just bit on there food, if the the dog 9 months it still growing anyway up to 18 months, big or small dogs would need some deff up to 14 months old

I think it can get a bit of a supplement maze adding powders to the food? Adding calcium you need to add correct ratios of other things such as phosphorus? Vitamin D? Vitamin E?

I've always just fed loads of minced meat with bone, plus whole rabbit and chicken carcass, chicken wings, lamb ribs etc. Plus tripe, offal and a handful of mixer.

Chicken carcass , flesh mince , good biscuit , plenty of lamb spine / ribs , venison carcass etc that all they get ... So you think that will be suffice ??

Yes, it will. Calcium supplements are not necessary and aren't what's needed for balanced bone building. Bone consists of more than just calcium. As said above, something like chicken necks, which all dogs seem to love, is way better than any supplement and keeps teeth white too.

Edited by Maximus Ferret

If the dog is truly getting a balanced natural diet than calcium supplements can be dangerous as too much calcium can 'force' unnatural speed of bone growth. Years ago it was common practice to give very large breed pups calcium supplements, which often caused massive skeletal problems. You won't get these problems with a very good complete modern puppy food, (mega expensive meat based product) or with a natural raw diet: think whole carcase. For example a rabbit: percentage of muscle meat, percentage of offal, and other connective tissue, and the rest is bone from the skeleton. Add in your bit of carbs, minced veg and that's all a pup really needs. But I wouldn't feed just rabbit as it doesn't contain enough fat for a fast growing domestic large breed pup that has evolved to need more than a wild canine's diet. Can we truly feed a domestic pup on exactly the same diet as a wolf cub? Yes, if we knew exactly what that wolf cub was getting: brains, (which contains fat. If the people who suffered from 'rabbit starvation' had eaten the entire rabbit, and raw, so the fat and juices didn't drip out on to their fires, they would have been OK) skin, all manner of small mammals as well as invertebrates and wild plants, herbivore dung: all sorts go into a wild animal's diet that we don't know the half of.

• Like 3

Does anybody know of anything apart from the obvious bones etc that I could give a 9 month pup after a greenstick fracture to a toe ? Tablets supplements etc cheers

Look into a herb called Comfrey, the nickname for the plant is bone-knit, there is a lot of history behind this plant helping healing broken bones.

Check it out.

Nature has been around for some time now just take a step back and the answer to most if not all questions is steering you in the face take a look a mother nature she will look after u as she done for a long time treat your dog like it would have to treat it's self in the wild and you should be OK hope it helps it's all ways helped me atb