Is There No Rule Of Thumb Anymore

It's called breeding season for a reason not hunting season all year round.but if you want to become a summer hunter or a all yr round hunter crack on,but when you have killed everything on your permission and around the doors during the summer ffs don't come on here saying or its shit around here now I have to travel 50miles or something.just because you have killed your own sport off then start crying because you haven't had a breeding season.atb

yes and then they either sell up or poach other peoples land who have worked hard to gain trust off the land owners to lose it

Then they wonder why the game is fukced mate,or they will become the scoobie clang and treat it like a drive through then wonder why the cops is shit hot onto them.beats me but after 35yrs I wonder what next.my gun licences are getting renewed and I'm wondering should I just give that up as it will be next because of the way it's going.

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's lost it's way pal. You see it on here some folk get slated by folk saying summertime hunters but when popular people on here do it they say great job keep the good work up. I don't understand

Spot on that. Farmers don't want to here "I can't come for 6 months now mate sorry, don't want to upset the boys on THL." Hahaha. I do less through the summer, a lot less, but the dogs are still out m

Won't go near my permission from March till late September have been doing it that way gor years never summer hunt summers gor fishing and relaxing

It's called breeding season for a reason not hunting season all year round.but if you want to become a summer hunter or a all yr round hunter crack on,but when you have killed everything on your permission and around the doors during the summer ffs don't come on here saying or its shit around here now I have to travel 50miles or something.just because you have killed your own sport off then start crying because you haven't had a breeding season.atb

yes and then they either sell up or poach other peoples land who have worked hard to gain trust off the land owners to lose it

Then they wonder why the game is fukced mate,or they will become the scoobie clang and treat it like a drive through then wonder why the cops is shit hot onto them.beats me but after 35yrs I wonder what next.my gun licences are getting renewed and I'm wondering should I just give that up as it will be next because of the way it's going.

I've thought the same thing with my dogs and ferrets but I love what I do I lose good money to go beating but I love working my dogs and I don't take holidays at work as I'm self employed so I take 1 day maybe 2 a week plus Saturdays all for the love of it

It's not something that I can say I haven't done tbo but with permission hard to come by, what we have got if it means going out to keep the land owners happy well sorry chaps but I'll be out taking a few if anything to please the owner, some of my permission is out standing the views are breathtaking and I love walking around the country side yes I'll have my combats on if not then I'll get the plod running around shouting you poaching little basxxed , that's just how it is mate but I don't class myself as a summer hunter just a happy chappy who loves his past tom and whants to keep both hands tightly on his permission

• Like 2

It's not something that I can say I haven't done tbo but with permission hard to come by, what we have got if it means going out to keep the land owners happy well sorry chaps but I'll be out taking a few if anything to please the owner, some of my permission is out standing the views are breathtaking and I love walking around the country side yes I'll have my combats on if not then I'll get the plod running around shouting you poaching little basxxed , that's just how it is mate but I don't class myself as a summer hunter just a happy chappy who loves his past tom and whants to keep both hands tightly on his permission

Spot on that. Farmers don't want to here "I can't come for 6 months now mate sorry, don't want to upset the boys on THL." Hahaha. I do less through the summer, a lot less, but the dogs are still out mooching every day and inevitably catch the odd thing, I will nip out with the air rifle once a fortnight to show my face on permissions and also have the odd night on the lamp to show my face and keep the dogs ticking over.

If this is wrong then so be it. I'm happy. My dogs are happy. And the land owners where I've got permission are happy.

• Like 5

What do you call mooching going a walk everyday with your dog or going to ground where there is rabbits aye must be one of the lucky ones because my permission don't want me or ask me during the summer months because there is lambs plus he hates guns so that suits me gives the rabbits a chance to recover from the season before happy days

Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 2

Each to there own it's not for me unless farmer asks for a crop field etc to be clear before they do too much damage rabbits I talking about then it ll be .22 rifle or air rifle not my bag but pop a few show face and keep permission problem with this game if you don't go there always several who can't wait to jump at chance and then your permission is either lost or shared between a few which is sound if other party's play by the rules gates /stock etc it's funny this topic about summer hunters no one has mentioned the damage that you can do to your lurchers running on iron hard fields which for me is the main reason not to risk a few runs etc till rain softens ground like I said each to there own just my humble opinion anyway not too long now and a few runs to be had when ground s not like concrete atb taffey

• Like 3

My dogs gets taken out for good long walks 2-3 times a day when I'm not working away and they still get the odd half hour in between my main worry has always been hard ground and I never let him go daft that's when he's left home and out comes the air gun. I also try to pick and choose which rabbits to shoot like myxy or old looking ones , The touring caravan site / farm is a bit of a git as he wants me up to clear them from his garden and around the caravans with any method so I get there first light and shoot a few and then go for the tree rats that way everyone is happy. Lamping me and blade were out two weeks ago the ground was pissy wet nice and soft 2:30hrs got 33 and never even made a difference to the amount there is , or myxomatosis don't know what it's like on your permissions but the rabbits on mine are just pulling through it scares all over the faces but hardly any laid around dead

yes its not good hunting summer time if your a sport man but 10 years ago I had to hunt for the pot to keep myself alive ,the only way I was showed as a young boy was off my dad ,he showed me that when times were hard I would never be hungry again ,I was showed to trap ,ferrit ,and the art of the lamp ,years later I found this was the only way I new how to keep myself going, so when in need I would ferrit summer rabbits 10 per day and that would give me 15 pounds to pay my bills and keep the pack of hounds fed well ,so as for summer hunters theres 2 types, 1 with no morals and the other in need atb bobza

• Like 4

What do you call mooching going a walk everyday with your dog or going to ground where there is rabbits aye must be one of the lucky ones because my permission don't want me or ask me during the summer months because there is lambs plus he hates guns so that suits me gives the rabbits a chance to recover from the season before happy days

There's not many places I walk where there aren't rabbits. I stay away from places where I know the dogs have got a good chance of catching and try to stick to canal paths, cycle paths, footpaths etc. But they are always off the lead and end up running the odd thing.

The farms I've got permission on aren't too bad, one isn't too bothered about seeing me at all. One is a big estate and they get a few lads shooting on there so they don't mind too much but one bloke mythers like f**k and says he will get someone else to take the rabbits off if I don't. So I show my face little and often. Do as little damage as possible, take 1 or 2 and tell him I took 10 off. The other night I took 9 and told him I took 30. Everyone is happy.

• Like 1

I get called out to do rabbits out of season I don't see any harm in that as said if I don't some one else will but I'll only do a few o keep the farmers happy I don't go out and do it just to start knocking 30 / 40 rabbits a night if I did there wouldn't be any left for the season

• Like 1