Hutch Security

Hi

My ferrets are usually in a shed but I'm having to move house. I can't take the shed with me so having to keep the ferrets in hutches. Just wondering how people increase the security of their hutches, I know if someone's gonna steal them they're gonna do it, just want to deter/make it harder for them.

No matter what you do to secure a hutch it will only take a screwdriver, pair of bolt cutters or tin snips to get in somewhere so why bother doing anything beyond a hasp and staple and simple padlock as a minor deterrent.

The real trick is to make the garden as secure and uninviting as possible. Security lights, pyrocantha or similar through your hedges and borders, decent locked gates that can't be undone from outside or easily jumped over etc. would be a better measure IMHO.

• Like 3

Good quality inch weld mesh double padlocks on each hutch ( but it can be a pain feeding them in the rain ) and the hutches next to my dog runs you might no stop them but you have to slow them down till you can act

I don't understand why they steal them either but I reckon they could be unable to raise and break them from biting so it's easier to steal from guy's that can do it , and it they can break into banks post offices stealing ferrets is no problem to them