Hawkings Search For E.t

I think we all know Francie's views.....but hands up who's sick to the back teeth of hearing them for the thousandth time?

And before you answer that Francie, i DO have to look in on these topics now and again, however tedious.

Different views is all part of debate, what a shit place it would be if w were all the same...

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't even initiate conversation with the wife half the time lol

we put men on the moon long before we put little wheels on suitcases ....how funked up is that?

hmm I don't have a watch of this it's not long and very interesting '  

I think we all know Francie's views.....but hands up who's sick to the back teeth of hearing them for the thousandth time?

And before you answer that Francie, i DO have to look in on these topics now and again, however tedious.

Different views is all part of debate, what a shit place it would be if w were all the same...

But this wasn't yet another god debate was it?

This Kepler 452b, or Earth 2.0 as it's being called, is 1400 lightyears away. So it takes light 1400 years to travel from there to here. According to Special Relativity, nothing can break the speed light (approximately 300'000 km/s), so assuming a space ship can travel at very close to the speed of light, for us on Earth it would take that space ship just over 1400 years to get there! Which is obviously of little use to us sat at home waiting for 'contact'...

However, special relativity also teaches us that time dilates (slows down) as you travel faster.... to the point where it effectively stops as you reach the speed of light. You can't reach the speed of light as mass is also relativistic and increases to be infinite at light speed, but we could theoretically achieve speeds of anything up to light speed making time VERY VERY slow for the travellers compared to everyone on Earth. If we could hit speeds of 99% the speed of light then the 1400 year journey would only take 197 years for the travellers (still 1400 years on Earth, so don't stay up late watching the news). At 99.9% light speed the journey would be reduced to 62 years but still for those on Earth it would appear to take 1400 years.

Reaching ever greater speeds would be a compounding problem. As mass increases with velocity the acceleration will decrease making it more difficult to achieve the required speed in a reasonable time. My calculations above assume instant speed. Accelerating to those speeds is the real problem. It's fairly safe to assume any mission would be a multi generational one.

I hope that illustrates how Relativity can be used both to our advantage and disadvantage with space travel.

I used to sell low code grub on the market if that helps !! Lol lol

• Like 1

This Kepler 452b, or Earth 2.0 as it's being called, is 1400 lightyears away. So it takes light 1400 years to travel from there to here. According to Special Relativity, nothing can break the speed light (approximately 300'000 km/s), so assuming a space ship can travel at very close to the speed of light, for us on Earth it would take that space ship just over 1400 years to get there! Which is obviously of little use to us sat at home waiting for 'contact'...

However, special relativity also teaches us that time dilates (slows down) as you travel faster.... to the point where it effectively stops as you reach the speed of light. You can't reach the speed of light as mass is also relativistic and increases to be infinite at light speed, but we could theoretically achieve speeds of anything up to light speed making time VERY VERY slow for the travellers compared to everyone on Earth. If we could hit speeds of 99% the speed of light then the 1400 year journey would only take 197 years for the travellers (still 1400 years on Earth, so don't stay up late watching the news). At 99.9% light speed the journey would be reduced to 62 years but still for those on Earth it would appear to take 1400 years.

Reaching ever greater speeds would be a compounding problem. As mass increases with velocity the acceleration will decrease making it more difficult to achieve the required speed in a reasonable time. My calculations above assume instant speed. Accelerating to those speeds is the real problem. It's fairly safe to assume any mission would be a multi generational one.

I hope that illustrates how Relativity can be used both to our advantage and disadvantage with space travel.

im no rocket scientist but the maths dosnt look right for keplar452b if it 1400 light years away how come they went 16 years into space to see it an 4 years of watching it, is that like driving 20 mile down the road to get closer to the moon

You've lost me there mate?

The Planet they discovered is, give or take, 1400 lightyears away. The observatory that discovered it was launched in 2009.....

So, just to clear me up a bit here......Hawkins don't entertain the possibility of a creator but he does entertain the possibility of Aliens.....is that right ?

So, just to clear me up a bit here......Hawkins don't entertain the possibility of a creator but he does entertain the possibility of Aliens.....is that right ?

No Hawkins did a bit of a u turn on the creator thing a while ago saying that it was plausible lol

• Like 1

That's not really a fair statement. Possibility? Of course he acknowledges the possibility, as far as I'm aware he always has. As far as I'm aware even the hated Dawkins acknowledges the possibility.

They can both still be atheists. :thumbs:

• Like 1

No Hawkins did a bit of a u turn on the creator thing a while ago saying that it was plausible lol

Believing it's implausible is not the same as believing it's impossible. :thumbs:

That's not really a fair statement. Possibility? Of course he acknowledges the possibility, as far as I'm aware he always has. As far as I'm aware even the hated Dawkins acknowledges the possibility.

They can both still be atheists. :thumbs:

Ahh, fair play mate......I get it.

It seems strange then that someone like Dawkins entertains the possibility but spends his life ridiculing that same possibility......that's a bit silly don't you think?