Progress Of A Pup

Ye Leethedog have to say it was, problem now is not to get over excited and burn him out I suppose.

But must say I'm trilled, after lot of feeding and walking rubbing and talking and thinking will it happen it has. Worth the wait.

Will put one up when I get home no problem.

Edited by Shroughaun

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For my part why take the chance of messing up a promising dog and they can be ruined with too early entering for certain. If the dog has a future in the game it will self enter no encouragement.Use t

once had 2 pups get to ground and work at 5 months, many a pup will start at 6-7 months I've had a few accidents over the years and its far to young, , 10-12 months still to young i think but i have

Can't agree more than what Foxdropper has said, I have a young dog in the yard and he is all go. Brought him out with older dogs but he wanted in, killing rats at 20 weeks old no issue. Had him out on

Posted Images

I started this tread a while back but never kept up with it, Sako is now just heading for 16mts, so anyway about three weeks ago I brought the pup out with my friend and his dogs and had a dig and just gave the pup a look at what was going on must say he was hyped, last Saturday I brought him out again when we come to one earth he said do you want to give him his first chance I agreed we would give it a go, let him off the lead, he had a good sniff around and then went in to my delight, after a couple of minutes he returned but went straight back in, then a short wait and we could hear the banging bingo, we waited and then located at three feet, the dig was on to the newbe, opend up and there he was with one at the end, we took him out and dispatched of a big old vixen and low and be hold their was another in behind. Let just say I was a proud bloke, he got the extra royal treatment.

Plan going forward is more time I think, thanks for all advice, and of course the 20 books I've read ha. Can I just as a beginner this was some excitement.

Brilliant result mate can yae stick up a wee photo of the pup. cheers.

post-98853-0-46528200-1442941909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For my part why take the chance of messing up a promising dog and they can be ruined with too early entering for certain.

If the dog has a future in the game it will self enter no encouragement.Use the time to fully train it mate ,stock break etc.

Hole ending is for me, old hat and i detest it tbh but each to their own i guess .Let the dog meet quarry its found itself in an earth its wanted to enter.

I'm guessing you meant hole ending ISN'T FOR YOU FD
  • Like 1

Totally agree, nothing ruins a prospective youngster faster than a hole end.

Letting a youngster into a set of waiting teeth while the young terrier is in it's cold blood is the most stupid thing most terrier men do. It's the vote Labour syndrome "my dad did so I will" :-)

• Like 3

There is hole ending and hole ending . I have made the mistake in the past and let a young dog hole end and it was counter productive . However if you place a fork between quarry and dog and allow a little baying then hold the dog back and remove the fork allowing a bolt , then release the dog for a chase , that will fire up a slow starter . I read about this from Brian Nuttal in an old year book . I personally haven't tried this , because I dig keepered estates and releasing foxes isn't an option . But I would be interested in others opinions .

Edited by shovel leaner

Totally agree, nothing ruins a prospective youngster faster than a hole end.

Letting a youngster into a set of waiting teeth while the young terrier is in it's cold blood is the most stupid thing most terrier men do. It's the vote Labour syndrome "my dad did so I will" :-)

Agreed 100%, but then they're not happy with doing it once but have to do it 3 and then 4 times and then when they ask the unfortunate pup to travel for real it goes in 3 or 4 feet, there's nothing there where there usually is, the pup turns around and comes out.

• Like 1

There is hole ending and hole ending . I have made the mistake in the past and let a young dog hole end and it was counter productive . However if you place a fork between quarry and dog and allow a little baying then hold the dog back and remove the fork allowing a bolt , then release the dog for a chase , that will fire up a slow starter . I read about this from Brian Nuttal in an old year book . I personally haven't tried this , because I dig keepered estates and releasing foxes isn't an option . But I would be interested in others opinions .

I don't like any form of hole ending, it's counter productive and illegal. Your youngsters don't know if the animals dead or alive, I'd personally shoot it then put a wall of soil in the way to encourage them to dig on and to let them get hot blooded before they make contact ;-)

I don't like any form of hole ending, it's counter productive and illegal. Your youngsters don't know if the animals dead or alive, I'd personally shoot it then put a wall of soil in the way to encourage them to dig on and to let them get hot blooded before they make contact ;-)
that sounds like common scence dillydog , and no doubt learnt through experience . I have had some dogs in years gone by that I should have given away as pets , but tried all sorts of tricks to get em going . None of which really worked . It all comes down to breeding , if you have the right pup it will work when it's ready . And like said before not ruined by starting too young .