Progress Of A Pup

Over the last number of weeks I've been bringing my 12mth pup for longer and better walks, I've started to notice he is picking up a lot more scent and trailing it through cover etc everything looks positive, as it's just casual nothing pushy. He has followed scent to earths is well and will enter the earth till the tip of the tail is in then just pauses and waits few seconds and comes back out and carries on smelling around. Is this anything I should be concerned with or just leave well enough alone for now. As I said before their has been no pressure, I've just been letting the pup do his own thing. ???

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For my part why take the chance of messing up a promising dog and they can be ruined with too early entering for certain. If the dog has a future in the game it will self enter no encouragement.Use t

once had 2 pups get to ground and work at 5 months, many a pup will start at 6-7 months I've had a few accidents over the years and its far to young, , 10-12 months still to young i think but i have

Can't agree more than what Foxdropper has said, I have a young dog in the yard and he is all go. Brought him out with older dogs but he wanted in, killing rats at 20 weeks old no issue. Had him out on

Posted Images

let him see, smell, and listen to another dog working a fox maybe even let him have a bay at the end of a dig threw a pitch fork so no contact is made once he nows what the earths hold it will be a case of when you let him enter :-)

• Like 1

He's still a youngster at 12 months so let him be a youngster, but have a back up plan.

If he's starting to explore holes then don't stop him but make sure the vehicles nearby with a shovel in it.

Also, don't tell him he's a good boy just because he's hunting a line or travelling a burrow. It could be rabbits he's hunting and anyway terriers don't need encouraging, they should do it on their own merit.

Hopefully some day you'll lift him at the end of a dig and after the fox has been shot he'll get all the rewards he needs.

• Like 6

let him see, smell, and listen to another dog working a fox maybe even let him have a bay at the end of a dig threw a pitch fork so no contact is made once he nows what the earths hold it will be a case of when you let him enter :-)

He's still a youngster at 12 months so let him be a youngster, but have a back up plan.

If he's starting to explore holes then don't stop him but make sure the vehicles nearby with a shovel in it.

Also, don't tell him he's a good boy just because he's hunting a line or travelling a burrow. It could be rabbits he's hunting and anyway terriers don't need encouraging, they should do it on their own merit.

Hopefully some day you'll lift him at the end of a dig and after the fox has been shot he'll get all the rewards he needs.

I will let see another dog work in time not just yet. Neill Cooney ye that was the idea with the walks just letting him be adventures and explore as long as it's doing him good I hope. I'm not going to try force anything on him and just be patient. Fingers crossed hay.

i dont fully get the holding back if they want to work @ 12 month i let them but just TRY and keep them winning with easy spots what i dont get is when people say " its been ruined threw working to young witch is said when the youngster jibs jacks what ever you want to call it but how do they no the same dog whuldent jib or jack when its 18 month or 2 years i whuld rather find out sooner rather than later what ime working with ...18 month 2 years is a long time to wait for a dog to go to ground get a nip and come out faster than it went in

if they want to go i honestly dont think some LIGHT work between 12 -18 months can do any harm atall

edited spelling

Edited by Zilverhaze
  • Like 1

saying that i whuld never write a youngster off till it was 2 years old unless it was a out and out coward.. failing to find,, miss marking ,, losing and not being able to find again whuld all be taken into consideration due to the lack of experiance and age

its not a case of the dog being held back, it's a case of I'm holding the dog back, if you get my meaning, as I said I'm new to this so I'm trying to read a lot and gather as much info as I can so we're both ready to go to ground together. And do the job right.

• 2 weeks later...