Little Bees Living In My Window

I just noticed a few bees going into the drain holes of the crossbeam on my window. It's aluminium double glazed and I don't know if they can get into the rest of the frame from this or not.

What would you lot do about it? I don't really want to leave them as when I open the window, I get bees in the house. They're small and dark, not honey bees or bumble bees and that's where my "knowledge" of bees ends. :icon_redface:

They are mortar bees Walshie. They love finding them little holes in the brickwork etc and away they go. Small colonies But you could do without them. Not really harmful to you but the buggers will cause a few problems in the building. Getting. rid?? Find out where they are going in and block it. Simple.

• Like 1

I don't suppose they're doing much harm in a bit of aluminium box section, but surely blocking the drain holes would defeat the object of having them in the first place?

I'll try putting some duct tape over the holes first to see if it works before I do a permanent job.

f**k sake, haven't you learnt anything about how we do things here in the west yet? You know the red straw that comes with a can of WD40? Stick that on, fill the cavity with WD40 then offer a match to the little opening.. :thumbs::tongue2:

You sure they aint flying ants though? :laugh:

Definitely got a bit of orange/yellow on them. Just googled masonry bees and they look a bit fluffy. These are more sort of shiny. Typically there aren't there now I want to check.

There's lots of different types of mason or solitary bees. Why not just let them do their thing this year: they are useful little things: and before they start up again next spring just put some fine metal mesh, like what you'd get in an old-fashioned meat safe, over the holes to stop them using them again.

• Like 6