How Big A Hutch For 3 Ferrets?

I posted a while back that I'm planning moving my 3 ferrets who live in the house (the smells not a problem, they've gotten used to me) to the outside, with the original plan being to move their cage to the shed and build a base beside and a run for them.

We did a bit of clearing out in the garden and found a massive concrete base where a greenhouse used to be. Would be ideal for the ferrets as it has a good bit of shade and is reasonably well sheltered. It also means I don't have to put a base down.

I'm stuck as to what size of space they're going to need. At the moment they've got a liberta explorer 2 storey cage which is huge, but that was because they spent most of they're time in there when they wern't let out for a play, if they're going outside they'll have a run to play about it.

I was thinking of putting them in something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-8FT-CHICKEN-COOP-HEN-POULTRY-ARK-HOUSE-HUTCH-RUN-NEST-NEW-/251010885752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a716a2878

At least to start with, then getting some wood and mesh to fabricate a bigger run.

Does that seem reasonable? Or am I going to be looking at needing more bed space for them? They all get along well and 9/10 they all sleep in a hammock together.

Are you taking the piss? thats bigger than my dogs kennels! If you are serious about getting it find out what the wire mesh is like, ferrets will break out of the flimsy stuff after all that's designed for chickens. On another note the bedding area in my opinion is far to big, a little box inside that would be ideal after all the saying goes a small kennels a warm kennel.

You may want to board the roof and the back and maybe a side lol , or it won't be much fun in the winter , and as said the mesh is probs pish as well so that will need replacing so stick another 150 notes on top of the price , your better off buying a shed : ) atb j

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback chaps.
I thought the bedding area was a bit small! But that's cause they've been in a fairly large cage inside and I've always thought of the whole cage as being their bedding area I guess. Sure I saw someone on here using something similar, but right enough they could have had the back boarded up.

The runs got 1/2" galvanised welded wire mesh according to the seller. I didn't realise there was much of a difference in mesh types. Thought this stuff would be ideal.

Mind you, I can get a shed, move the cage out there and modify it to suit the little blighters. They get better treated than I do (pheasant and rabbit for every meal) so the wife will probably be more than happy spending a bit of dosh so they can live the life of luxury.

Thanks for the feedback.

In a further development, my sister appears to have bought me a bluebell hutch from pets at home.

This is the one http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/images/classifieds/2014/09/21/763829/large/5-month-old-double-rabbit-hutch-541ef4c240053.jpg

Think the girls will be all right to go out in that? Could head down to the timber yard and grab some wood and build a decent enclosure for them around it...

If that's the route you want to go down with some alterations I reckon it will be fine as I think you will want to add more ferrets and a hut that size will allow it

Well, the sister turned up with the hutch today. Seems a good size for something to build off

IMG_3365_zps214477d2.jpg

NOTE: This is a picture of the model, but isn't actually my hutch. The only picture I've got of it has the bairn in it and I don't want the Social turning up at my door for child cruelty! It's about 4ft wide, 2ft deep.

So I think I'm going to build a ferret court around it for the little blighters. Certainly my wee one seems happy with it.

Going to go (as suggested) for something that I can walk in. The Concrete base is 2.6m x 2.6m so should have a fair old size for the 3 girls. The hutch will be located in between two trees. Nice sheltered area with a hedge running at the back.

Basic plan is to have it about the size on the concrete base, maybe slightly smaller as most timber I've seen is 2.4m lengths, got a couple of questions for the experts if you can help me.

1. What sized timber would be good to build the frame? I'm planning on having a roof over the whole thing so it'll need to be able to support the weight. Thinking I could get away with thicker stuff for the main frame and then use thinner wood to pin the welded wire mesh onto in vertical strips.

1 and a bit: As for the roof, was thinking corrugated plastic, or do you think felt would be a better bet?

2. With the hutch, would I be looking at having to put in a couple walls for shelter?

3. Timmy said that the bedding area in the first one I posted was too big. Would this one be better?

I've had a look around here and seen some really nice ferret courts, but if anyone wants to chip in with some tips, that would be great.

Erm. Right, so I've taken this forums sterling advice and after a long and arduous hunt for about 12 hours a 6'x9' aviary made from 2"x2" wood popped up on Gumtree for less than it would cost me to build one. Got a roof on it too. Very sturdy build too, wire was in good nick and looked to be similar to what I used to build a replacement panel on their cage. Went and had a look at it this evening. Picking it up on Thursday.

Pretty confident the girls will have enough space to run around in...

I'm not sure how I went from a chicken coop to something bigger than my chuffing shed!

That's the court built now. Couple wee mods to finish it off. Basically just some blocks to go down at one end to fully enclose the base and then a spot of paint and it's done.

11755729_10153573068134673_6935563125838

11738017_10153573068224673_7398034224555

11745799_10153573068344673_7887379660685

Once it's ferret proofed and painted the wife will get on with giving it a decorate and shift some of the ferrets toys out to it and we'll get the girls in. Planned for the weekend.

• Like 3