A Question For Lamper,s Who Run Dogs Hard

My question is those of you who run their dogs on a regular basis in

the lamping season and work their dogs hard,, do you feed your dogs

before or after ??. ONLY i use to run my dogs lamping and feed them on our return

home, and my dogs were fit. One night last season my young dog become looking

a little bit wobbly, staggering slightly after a hard night, he had run many times before

and coped well, but after this funny turn i decided to feed him before lamping

say 8 - 9 hours, and thankfully he has always been fine since that night.

I know some may not agree with feeding before working,, but i am on about at least

8-9 hours in advance.

It would be nice to hear your views, as i always feed before now

and he runs fine,, cheers SWG DAVE.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot that Dave ,,,,yeh when I've been on the big nights,,,I take a bowl of food for when they have finished.....   Just don't put it in the back of then van with the dogs

yep they need abit of fuel in the tank!! ..you dont get far in a car thats running on empty !!

This topic has been covered a lot mate,,,,and like you I fed the same along time ago,,,,but changed for the same reasons,,,   I now feed around tea time ,,between 4 and 6 pm,,gives you 6-8 hours to

Posted Images

This topic has been covered a lot mate,,,,and like you I fed the same along time ago,,,,but changed for the same reasons,,,

I now feed around tea time ,,between 4 and 6 pm,,gives you 6-8 hours to digest,,there food if lamping from midnight onwards...I don't feed bone though at this feed just mince ,vedge ect...

I have read on here from folk like socks,,skycat ect,,that dogs only need 8 hours to digest food

• Like 2

feed about 4/5 hours be for but as tomo sed no bones brown bread and mince or similer but always feed a good meal on your reater if its about 4 or 5 am.10am good rub down small walk let them empty then a nother meal if you are out for a lot of nights on the trot running hard.dogs will shock a lot of foke what they need to eat to sustane they heathy condishoin

• Like 2

Forgot that Dave ,,,,yeh when I've been on the big nights,,,I take a bowl of food for when they have finished.....

Just don't put it in the back of then van with the dogs

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 4

This topic has been covered a lot mate,,,,and like you I fed the same along time ago,,,,but changed for the same reasons,,,

I now feed around tea time ,,between 4 and 6 pm,,gives you 6-8 hours to digest,,there food if lamping from midnight onwards...I don't feed bone though at this feed just mince ,vedge ect...

I have read on here from folk like socks,,skycat ect,,that dogs only need 8 hours to digest food

same here tomo :thumbs: , give 1/4 food about 4pm, then start lamping from 12pm onwards , never had prob dog will run al night long, just let him drink from streams etc as the night goes on when they need it . :thumbs:

• Like 1

Spot on, found the same. Dog had a wee wobble, then realised, she had not eaten in. . . . . probably 24 hours. . . . . . . .no wonder she had a wobble!!!

Not I make sure they get a feed in the day if i'm planning on a good shift at night.