My New Saluki Just Imported Him Back What You's Think Lads?

I might open the Shildon International Saluki Centre ? tradition Arab regalia replaced by track suit n air max roe instead of gazelle brown hare instead of them desert hares even chuck in but lamper rabit n fox lol

This time next year Rodney.............?

I still be piss poor n trying to get it back on the leash or pulling shite out its hairy lugs lol

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 6

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got him back on Monday.   Bred by hamad al ghanem Saluki centre of Dubai Saluki club of Arabia   Some pics of him at four months.   And pics of him last night at 11 months old now.  

Update on my dog boys running really well. Shot and retrieved yesterday.

Here's two pups off him as a friend of mine used him on a genuine first cross saluki greyhound bitch he has. Both bitch pups 7 pups in the litter I kept this red bitch and my mate kept the black and c

Posted Images

I like the look of that dog good luck with him, I am curious desert bred to know of any kennels you would recommend importing from, I am not having a go at anyone, I am genuinely curious.

My Advice go to lads or ladies who work their dogs hard and who are not farming for the dollar but then people have different ways of doing things.

I can see what you're saying DB and it makes sense but what's the point of telling someone that when in the same breath you're telling them they won't be able to do it. It makes it sound like you want to be seen as the only man that can run a decent hound.

I said go to people who work there hounds hard there are a few here in the UK as some one said game wise they probably get tested more than COO dogs ,Why would it sound like I want to be seen as anything? some one asked me a question and I answered it. The majority of Salukis in the middle east are in private family homes and dont get sold in significant numbers. Now you want to discuss salukis go ahead, there are lines here in the UK that have good potential but as I have said to me dog breeding is an art and a science not a cash machine exercise and to progress you need to have a clue what you are doing. I notice you only quoted the last sentence of my post why not all of it then it can be readin the right context not just in a manner that is not correct ?

Fair enough, I took what you said as meaning go to people in COO who work their dogs hard, not go to people in UK who work their dogs hard.

If you had say a choice between say

Litter A working site working dam worked on desert hare bred and coming from coo country

Or

Litter B again working sire and dam worked on UK brown hare coming from UK

Which would you choose too take on? That's the basic question is it not? All saluki hail originally from certain country's they been going back n forth for centuries now bred bought sold gifted peddled for many reasons be it hunting coursing showing breeding or simply as a desired choice of pet

Once it born and in owners hands it's what they want to do with it the got the physique too run game as standard it also had stamina as a natural asset even if not specifically trained too improve this aspect they also hard wired too hunt it's as natural as breathing too them they just need a little direction and opportunity and they can be many things to many people as long as they enjoy them and look after them all is good

• Like 2

If you had say a choice between say

Litter A working site working dam worked on desert hare bred and coming from coo country

Or

Litter B again working sire and dam worked on UK brown hare coming from UK

Which would you choose too take on? That's the basic question is it not? All saluki hail originally from certain country's they been going back n forth for centuries now bred bought sold gifted peddled for many reasons be it hunting coursing showing breeding or simply as a desired choice of pet

Once it born and in owners hands it's what they want to do with it the got the physique too run game as standard it also had stamina as a natural asset even if not specifically trained too improve this aspect they also hard wired too hunt it's as natural as breathing too them they just need a little direction and opportunity and they can be many things to many people as long as they enjoy them and look after them all is good

Litter B :thumbs:

My last post was not aimed at saying one better than the other ?

My limited expirience with the breed has led me too seeing the middle ground as the ideal place but that's just from my expiriences with the digs I've owned and other lads ones I've watched both UK lines and import bear in mind UK lines split between working mans lines and those belonging too old established breed clubs and offshoots

The UK lines here and doing it and have been for years they even been sent back over too help improve coo stock so it's very much a two way thing

but as hunters coursers we always going seek better stronger faster better gob stamp more height less height so it's obvious the imports are needed and somebody has too take the chance of putting money where the mouth is so too speak fortune favours the brave n all that

Only a fool or bitter person would want too see this mans dog fail we should all be praying be the greatest bing too ever run in UK ?

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 5

My last post was not aimed at saying one better than the other

My limited expirience with the breed has led me too seeing the middle ground as the ideal place but that's just from my expiriences with the digs I've owned and other lads ones I've watched both UK lines and import bear in mind UK lines split between working mans lines and those belonging too old established breed clubs and offshoots

The UK lines here and doing it and have been for years they even been sent back over too help improve coo stock so it's very much a two way thing

but as hunters coursers we always going seek better stronger faster better gob stamp more height less height so it's obvious the imports are needed and somebody has too take the chance of putting money where the mouth is so too speak fortune favours the brave n all that

Only a fool or bitter person would want too see this mans dog fail we should all be praying be the greatest bing too ever run in UK

I get what you're saying, but dogs bred in this country to run at european brown hares for a fair number of generations, are surely going to be a better proposition than using coo dogs that have been run at desert hares?

Don't wish to hear about anyone's dog, pure saluki or mongrel lurcher, failing. But surely, if the dogs that have been bred here for generations are being sent back to coo to improve their strains, doesn't that say that the UK bred dogs, and the UK breeders are doing it better?

• Like 3

Who judges the dogs? Here in UK loudest voices heard would be coursing lads who try a pure to run or breed from. Then there's who choose too course Salukis and hunt with them they don't have as loud a voice coz it smaller amount of interest

So those that say UK stock rubbish maybe not best placed too say that what it could be is it dint improve their aims and objectives or they simply don't like the breed to work with

Most who have coursed worked and shown lures have done so via breed clubs dedicated too these dogs some choose too simply hunt by self or with chosen company they all happy with what they have

Then there's the other type that simply wants too own them rarer more pricey the better certain clicks are hard too get into sometimes it worth effort sometimes not

The only crime is too not treat them right or too allow them too hunt and have freedom

Who judges the dogs? Here in UK loudest voices heard would be coursing lads who try a pure to run or breed from. Then there's who choose too course Salukis and hunt with them they don't have as loud a voice coz it smaller amount of interest

So those that say UK stock rubbish maybe not best placed too say that what it could be is it dint improve their aims and objectives or they simply don't like the breed to work with

Most who have coursed worked and shown lures have done so via breed clubs dedicated too these dogs some choose too simply hunt by self or with chosen company they all happy with what they have

Then there's the other type that simply wants too own them rarer more pricey the better certain clicks are hard too get into sometimes it worth effort sometimes not

The only crime is too not treat them right or too allow them too hunt and have freedom

Not wishing to argue and have no axe to grind about salukis, or over who owns what strain/line etc, or what country their dogs come from. But the owners/breeders in this country that have ran their dogs at european brown hares successfully, and have won comps etc, surely will have the better type of saluki, and as a saluki owner yourself, surely you must see that?

And by the way, feel free to dismiss what I say, as I don't even like salukis! Lol, but wish the lad who's just imported his dog well :thumbs:

• Like 2

its like football teams, motorbikes, cars people will agree or disagree as to the best, the fastest the most expensive, same with dogs , different breeds ,x.s everyone has a preference and what suits them. A good stockman can get the best out of what is on his slip. Ive seen top class potential f****d up by lads who dont have a clue and seen good honest dogs that can do the job ,its down to the skill of the man at getting the dog in a condition where it can perform to the best of its abilities.. A good bench mark to me how good a dog is is if its in the same home after 3 seasons ,coursing is notorious for if it doesnt perform move it on and buy another possibility , the problem the lad doesnt think maybe the problem is with him and not the dog. Any way soon be frosty and can get back to whatever it is you do atb.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

Not wishing to argue and have no axe to grind about salukis, or over who owns what strain/line etc, or what country their dogs come from. But the owners/breeders in this country that have ran their dogs at european brown hares successfully, and have won comps etc, surely will have the better type of saluki, and as a saluki owner yourself, surely you must see that?

And by the way, feel free to dismiss what I say, as I don't even like salukis! Lol, but wish the lad who's just imported his dog well :thumbs:

the desert hare and yanki jack rabbit dont compare to the european brown hare on a good day on the east anglian desert , .but nor does wild gazzell , wild donkey .mountain goat ,wolf and a miriad of other game , fur or feather , salukis have not been bred for 6,.000 yrs or so just to run puss , they were bred to to fill the pot , and run game down that man couldnt catch ,,dont fall into the trap they are one trick poneys they are not .and yes they do make fkn.draft excluders for the door :laugh:

• Like 4

the desert hare and yanki jack rabbit dont compare to the european brown hare on a good day on the east anglian desert , .but nor does wild gazzell , wild donkey .mountain goat ,wolf and a miriad of other game , fur or feather , salukis have not been bred for 6,.000 yrs or so just to run puss , they were bred to to fill the pot , and run game down that man couldnt catch ,,dont fall into the trap they are one trick poneys they are not .and yes they do make fkn.draft excluders for the door :laugh:

? well put that ?

I know your not baiting me mate? I've maybe not explained myself too clearly

The ones that here already in UK are spot on if bred right and reared in right home ie, somebody who wants too own run hunt or hare course a pure saluki and not with somebody who wants it to be a saluki lurcher too course hares with

I think we got some good Salukis in UK and some good imports here as well hopefully the breed I'll benefit from the new blood

Dogs a great leveller in life don't matter how much money you got you might not ever have the best dog cos a poor man owns it but won't sell it

Dog costing 8k can be rubbish compared too one costing 300 too some people 8k nothing

I'm first too admit if I had the money I'd go all over the place looking for better than what I've got of course I would ? I personally want every import too succeed or fetch something more to the table same with UK bred stuff or mixtures of UK and import

• Like 1