Lost Skills?

Terrier and quarry really don't mind what'd going on above? Try smashing feck out of the ground with graft and shovel as hard as you can on top of a young terrier, not all like the sound of that above they're nut. Oh and next time your pretty close to breaking through and you hit a rock or root smash feck out of that too and see how the fox reacts to that...

• Like 4

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best terrier men will get the most from a situation with or without the finder .The old Deben was far from failsafe and sometimes got damp leaving a dog to be found the old way .Electric fences se

The more I learn the more I realise I didn't know ! I like that saying because I learn everytime I go out or try to . I've seen men that've dug for years and still not learn from their mistakes be

Personally I think it has improved terrier work in lots of ways, dogs are being used in places that you wouldn't even consider without a locator, the standard of terrier work is far superior today wit

If a young dog is entered to his quarry the best way you can, then he's not going to worry about what's going on up top, he'd be getting used to it, as for Charlie he has more to worry about, his opponent ! and he'll only get dug to once if job is done right! When I were a lad the old fellas seem to have unwritten code between themselves , find your quarry, put dog in , let him settle ,you might get a bolt, if not start to dig, no locaters then,dogs were bred right, for their purpose,I'm sure most terrier men try and breed a dog for the job, they didn't want a dog to smash his way in, I don't think it's just the skill of finding, digging, knowledge, has been lost, perhap breeding terriers has gone too,times have changed with the ban and all,and a different generation .

• Like 3

The answer is an obvious Yes. Put it like this, if you showed a guy that hadn't a notion about digging how to use a B&F setup. Dropped a terrier along a bank and brought him down the field, the chances are he'd be capable of locating the dog and know where to dig. He wouldn't be far off. Thing is there's a lot more to Terrierwork than that and we all know that very well. Like many I still like to hone in on my skills on a regular basis and locate a terrier naturally rather than using the box straight away, it's puts that extra bit of satisfaction into it knowing you could do without if somehow you ended up in that situation. The knocker boxes where a great job for learning you how not to depend on a locater system, simply because they were unpredictable when they got wet ( even after being taped ) and the batteries could have died at any point without warning. So you still had to know what you were playing at and that's just the way it was. One more thing everyone talks about old timers and how it was done years ago etc. You do have to have respect for the way things were done back in time but at the same time don't be fooled into thinking every man years ago with a terrier was a legend, there was plenty of fools that hadn't a clue back then too. They just wouldn't tell you that lol.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 5

think the French lads use them mate

with a good success rate so I've heard .

Maybe so but if someone told me to keep my locator in the bag and trust in him and 2 sticks he'd get told to "feck off" pretty sharpish :yes: . :laugh:

• Like 2

think the French lads use them mate

with a good success rate so I've heard .

Maybe so but if someone told me to keep my locator in the bag and trust in him and 2 sticks he'd get told to "feck off" pretty sharpish :yes: . :laugh:
lol your right I'd be the same ? , maybe before I'd turn on the box first have a crack at it with someone that knew how to do it
  • Like 1

its knowledge...not SKILL finds the terrier... where to bar where to listen too.... what too listen for... and the art of blocking out the wind the rain the wet under your jeans you shouldn't have wore out... the banter going on beside you work the next day and many other things...... its tuning in to doing a job professionally and humanely....to be honest the terrier and quarry really don't mind whats going on above... there quite happy sizing each other up... after all its only natural they encounter the same thing daily with territory food breeding and so on...just humans love to tell folk they have it sussed when they don't! get out there answer your own questions... that's terrierwork!

That's a load of rubbish.

Why do you think a terrier is most under pressure at the end of a dig ?

Anyone with a bit of skill would know the reason.

See a lot of terrier men showing ther age lol I don't know about you lot but if it wasn't for technology I'd be fooked and in this day an age thers no way the old timers r crawling around the mud looking for ther terriers and letting on they give the terrier plenty of time to settle lol

its knowledge...not SKILL finds the terrier... where to bar where to listen too.... what too listen for... and the art of blocking out the wind the rain the wet under your jeans you shouldn't have wore out... the banter going on beside you work the next day and many other things...... its tuning in to doing a job professionally and humanely....to be honest the terrier and quarry really don't mind whats going on above... there quite happy sizing each other up... after all its only natural they encounter the same thing daily with territory food breeding and so on...just humans love to tell folk they have it sussed when they don't! get out there answer your own questions... that's terrierwork!

That's a load of rubbish.

Why do you think a terrier is most under pressure at the end of a dig ?

Anyone with a bit of skill would know the reason.

Neil you give this man a hard time all the time ? Edited by THE GENERAL

Stamp a couple of times above a mark and watch it shift.

• Like 1

Does modern technology reduce the skill needed by a terrierman

Modern technology became the advent of poorer bred terriers and fickle ownership,as others have stated there as always been poor terrierfolk and poor breeding,modern technology gives them the edge they needed.

• Like 3

Right gentleman I have a second question if it is the case that skills are being lost maybe some of you more experienced gents could explain what skills or tricks of the trade you don't see being used

• Like 1