Pup 9 Months Now, Bit Of Advice Wanted

Dogs can have paracetamol, but it needs to be the correct dose for the dog, one of mine is on a para/codeine mix (paradale v - prescribed by the vet) shes about

45kg and has 1 1/2 tabs twice a day, ( p.s paradale v you can buy without script as its classified as NFA-VPS)

But i would always try rest first before giving anything.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little pain will remind him not to overdo it if it's just a knock and if it don't settle get the vet to check and they should prescribe metacam. We used to give an asprin daily and is usually fine b

My pup just turned 9 months a few days ago and I am couldn't of been more pleased with him so far and he has been injury free, no knocks etc.   Had him out yesterday and he chased a rabbit that ran

its Hong Hong Phooey ...I would get your hands on some Loxicom Flipbull

Dogs can have paracetamol, but it needs to be the correct dose for the dog, one of mine is on a para/codeine mix (paradale v - prescribed by the vet) shes about

45kg and has 1 1/2 tabs twice a day, ( p.s paradale v you can buy without script as its classified as NFA-VPS)

But i would always try rest first before giving anything.

So that would work out that a 30kg dog (pup last time I weighed him) would have 1 twice per day = half a tab per 15kg. Thanks for that chook. I have just rested him up for now mate and see how he goes, hopefully it's just a bit of bruising around his knuckle.

Paracetamol and even more so codeine don’t have a very good anti-inflammatory action; they are more pain killers whereas aspirin, ibuprofen, metacam etc have both, pain reduction and anti-inflammatory properties which is why they are used in trauma/injury. Plus it’s easy to overdose on paracetamol, either as a single dose or staggered over a few doses.

It is a painkiller, but as an emergency treatment then see no reason why it can't be given

alongside rest or till you can get the dog to a vet, it's easy to over dose on any drug if you don't know what your doing, paradale has dosage instructions with it, lots of vets are now prescribing paracetamol now a days, mine was on it due to having an operation.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Dechra_Veterinary_Products_Limited/Pardale-V_ACY-reg_ADs-_Oral_Tablets/-65159.html

• Like 1

A little pain will remind him not to overdo it if it's just a knock and if it don't settle get the vet to check and they should prescribe metacam. We used to give an asprin daily and is usually fine but metacam is better. Not paracetamol.

I'd agree most of his growing is done just little as the last growth plates close off then filling up and out as he matures.

I didn't realise he would be near full growth at that age mate. Not that I need him to grow anymore. He hasn't grown much (in height) now over the last 3 months.

He looks as though he has at least 1 to 2 centimetres left to grow upwards. It's not just the amount of knuckle left, but the distance between his wrists and the ground you need to look at. Compare him to an adult dog of the same type. Once he's finished growing upwards he will still need another 6 months to a year to build adult muscles and strength. A dog of that size doesn't completely finish maturing until it is around 3 years old.

• Like 1

A little pain will remind him not to overdo it if it's just a knock and if it don't settle get the vet to check and they should prescribe metacam. We used to give an asprin daily and is usually fine but metacam is better. Not paracetamol.

I'd agree most of his growing is done just little as the last growth plates close off then filling up and out as he matures.

I didn't realise he would be near full growth at that age mate. Not that I need him to grow anymore. He hasn't grown much (in height) now over the last 3 months.

He looks as though he has at least 1 to 2 centimetres left to grow upwards. It's not just the amount of knuckle left, but the distance between his wrists and the ground you need to look at. Compare him to an adult dog of the same type. Once he's finished growing upwards he will still need another 6 months to a year to build adult muscles and strength. A dog of that size doesn't completely finish maturing until it is around 3 years old.

Cheers skycat some good info there. I have been meaning to contact you regarding diet, would it be okay to pm you?

Why do u no every single person on here yer? Very much doubt it majority in summer will feed dry and odd raw put me life on it and as for u bet u do aswell just being a smart arse aren't yer, nothing wrong with it just making a statement

Plenty folk on here better placed to give advice than myself. .but my advice would be take the pup to vets. .may cost you more than paracetamol but id guess they'd prescribe metacam and it's good stuff. .used it a couple of times and does the job.you are obviously worried to have posted this in first place.. atb sesku

• Like 1

Why do u no every single person on here yer? Very much doubt it majority in summer will feed dry and odd raw put me life on it and as for u bet u do aswell just being a smart arse aren't yer, nothing wrong with it just making a statement

raw for my dogs...no more expensive than a decent dry food..why would I change to dry in summer? to some it all seems a bit too much hard work feeding raw? If we eat pasta the dogs get a bit. .same with rice. .veg etc it ain't hard work so why change?

raw for my dogs...no more expensive than a decent dry food..why would I change to dry in summer? to some it all seems a bit too much hard work feeding raw? If we eat pasta the dogs get a bit. .same with rice. .veg etc it ain't hard work so why change?
I feed mine raw but always have a bag a gain for emergency I couldint be arsed cleaning 10 ton off dog shit up off the dry
  • Like 1