Anschutz 1417 What Scope?

Ok, I have my Anschutz 1417 (turned up in perfect condition, hardly used!) with its cheap Rhino 3-9 x 50 Scope, It is spot on at 60 yards with Eley subs, but it deserves a better scope. What scope power are you all using? The 9 x mag seams a little lean @ 70-75 yards for me old eyes and I was thinking more of a 4-12 mag range, or not, (fixed mag?) I`m open to advise here. (40 to 50 objective?)

So the question is, with theses 5 price ranges what would your preferred Scope for a Anschutz 1417? (Rabbits 30 yards to 80 yards).

I`m happy to spend £100 if the "perfect scope" exists at that price, equally much more if need be. Bearing in mind I doubt I will ever sell, once I have got my "perfect scope" :yahoo:

1. £100 and under

2. £100 - £250

3. £250 - £400

4. £400 - £550

5. £550 and over

:signthankspin:

• Like 1

I have a mk1 hawke eclipse 3-9x50 on my .22lr and only zeroed once. I'd go for something like the hawke sidewinder or maybe the airmax, make sure it has a mildot type reticle though. Some chaps like the MTC range of scopes but I can't advise on them as I've never used them. Hawke for me all the way very good scope for the money pal

Me and my mate have hawke scopes on our .22lr's and his one shifted zero by 4 inches the other night.. Wasn't knocked, just shifted by itself, the scope is still fairly new and not seen much action... It has put us both off the low end hawkes, although mine still works as it should...

They are also a bit big and bulky for a little rabbit gun, although I have a soft spot for the meopta 7x50, I think the most practical scope for a .22lr would be a 6x42 with mil dot reticle...

Each to their own but I think 6x mag is perfect for 20-80 yards.. Any more and you struggle to see the close ones any less you struggle at the long ones...

Personal preference would see my .22lr with a quality fixed 6x42, a second hand leupold would fit the bill but you might struggle to get one with a mil dot ret which i think are ideal for the lr, one thing is for sure, if you buy a new hawke for about £100 it will be worth £50-£60 a week later, but buy a second hand leupold or similar and you will get your money back, even years later... objective size is not everything when it comes to a nice bright picture!

I have three Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 mildot (not HDs) fitted to rimfires and FAC air. I have scopes by the big names but the brightness, sharpness and field of view of the Bushnell is very good indeed. I bought them mint used for around £125 each and fitted them in BKL mounts; I fit Accucovers to them and find them an excellent aid to minimising parallax error and speeding up target acquisition in low light; covers fold flat to the top of the eyebell.

I have a Hawke 3x12-50 AO.IR mildot on my 1417 and it's fine, nowhere near as big as the Hawke Airmax I have on the hmr (about 5" shorter). My eyes are poor but I find x10 is good for up too 100 yards. It was about £130 new.

I laid out some targets at various ranges to get the dots spot on.

post-94065-0-07177600-1431464987_thumb.jpg

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5 > 14 x 50 LR with the Varmint reticule on my .22 Sako Finnfire Varmint.

Yes it's a bit over the top cost wise (circa £800), but it's really very good, I have Leupold's

on all five of my rifles (1 Rimfire 3 Centrefire & a HW100 Airgun) had one on for over 12 years

never shifts zero, and the adjustments are smack on. You pays yer money etc!

• Like 2

Nikon Monarch 3. 50mm objective. The magnification is overkill I know (6-24), but I pulled it off one of my CFs when I picked up a new one for that rifle.

I rarely go above x12 so the x24 will probably never get used while on my .22LR. I wanted to hang on to the quality glass though, rather than sell it on. :thumbs:

• Like 1

+1 for the 7x50 Meopta. Parallax adjustable scopes look great on paper but with the more economical variable power scopes only served to piss me off when I was out hunting - the target was rarely crystal clear and you simply don't have the time to make the adjustments.

I've got a zeiss 6-24x56 victory diavari on my .223 and it's an expensive pain in the arse!!

The .22 is basic, uncomplicated slug - I'd keep the scope the same.

• Like 4