Failing With A Dog

Hiya lads

Not posted in Ernest for one reason or another lately and with summer approaching thought I would put up a wee story and a question....

In October last year, an acquaintance of mine was having dramas at home with his misses and had to offload the dogs..

I took his pup, a black whippet type with splash of beddy in it. I had enough on my plate what with moving home and setting up with the wife halfway across the country. But I needed a dog again after I lost three in a year in 2013 My wife had named the dog for him when it was a tiny black bundle. He was a funny wee soul, he had a sychophantic nature and was a doddle to teach to sit, stay, retrieve and lead....however as I started his lamping retrieve training he just could not gran it....I was in no rush to start him at all but ffs he was testing me...I would bush outcrows and squirrels , illuminate rabbits for him in the beam .he soon started to realise he had a nose but ffs that vacant glare into the distance riled me...he was beginning to annoy me so much with the lack of instinct that I knew he had to go, he went last month to a lovelyet home up int dales where he will be on the couch and up on the tops thrice a week , but I'm not ashamed to say I was glad to see him go....I had completely fell out with him in the space of four months, just a pup but I could see he was going to turn into an article.maybe we were ill matched, who knows ....but one things for sure , I won't waste my time on a punt again like that...

Anyway guys, just for the crack, does anyone have any similar tales of dogs with absolutely no desire to pursue game.....

Oh and the irony....the useless thing was only called CHase wasn't he?

Hiya lads

Not posted in Ernest for one reason or another lately and with summer approaching thought I would put up a wee story and a question....

In October last year, an acquaintance of mine was having dramas at home with his misses and had to offload the dogs..

I took his pup, a black whippet type with splash of beddy in it. I had enough on my plate what with moving home and setting up with the wife halfway across the country. But I needed a dog again after I lost three in a year in 2013 My wife had named the dog for him when it was a tiny black bundle. He was a funny wee soul, he had a sychophantic nature and was a doddle to teach to sit, stay, retrieve and lead....however as I started his lamping retrieve training he just could not gran it....I was in no rush to start him at all but ffs he was testing me...I would bush outcrows and squirrels , illuminate rabbits for him in the beam .he soon started to realise he had a nose but ffs that vacant glare into the distance riled me...he was beginning to annoy me so much with the lack of instinct that I knew he had to go, he went last month to a lovelyet home up int dales where he will be on the couch and up on the tops thrice a week , but I'm not ashamed to say I was glad to see him go....I had completely fell out with him in the space of four months, just a pup but I could see he was going to turn into an article.maybe we were ill matched, who knows ....but one things for sure , I won't waste my time on a punt again like that...

Anyway guys, just for the crack, does anyone have any similar tales of dogs with absolutely no desire to pursue game.....

Oh and the irony....the useless thing was only called CHase wasn't he?

to be honest i expected you to be stripped with the usual replies about not giving the dog enough time or pup was to young, so on , so forth. Ive personally been accused by pals of having not givin a dog a chance. And im in no way saying that young dogs shouldnt be allowed do silly things and to mature before you judge them but whatever happened to STOCK SENCE. If a professional handler of lets say performance bred belgian shepards goes to a yard to look at a very well bred litter of pups. He mightmake up his mind that not even one of them pups is worth the time , effort , costs of bringing on even though they all look fit and healthy 6 to eight weeks. How does he know this ? experience, stock sence and so is able to read subbtle signs that pups are telling him about themselves and their make up. Im in no way advocating getting shut of a pup that is pissing you off just because hes a pup. But lets say you went to pick that pup from a litter of six and you shoolk a rag for them to chase and 5 naturally got in on the action and 1 just looked the other way, im not saying this pup would never turn out good but i wouldnt bet two years of feeding , time , training on it. Sorry if i went a bit of track pal but the term "stock sence" is not one ive seen used often enuf on this site. I think from what your saying i would have done the same
  • Like 1

Warren Buffet supposedly does the same with shares and stocks.

Been around the game so long, knows all the ins and outs, that the thought process no longer goes into it. They just feel what's right and what's not.

Unconscious competence

• Like 1

Thing is if you go and have a look at a pup, you should know some background of the parents. This is where your "stock sense" should start but with a lot of things in the dog world it's never guaranteed.

I personally have never had a duffer, but I've seen a few and a most of the have been acquired with little or no family history.

Did you know the parents of this pup?

• Like 1

Warren Buffet supposedly does the same with shares and stocks.

Been around the game so long, knows all the ins and outs, that the thought process no longer goes into it. They just feel what's right and what's not.

Unconscious competence

Warren Buffet does he own running dogs?

It is the most frustrating feeling ever having a dog that has not got the desire but can't be botherd sometimes I had a bitch about 5 years ago I got from a pup I got her brother here still as we'll and did she have the desire too chase yes she did catch the odd thing or 2 but it was the way she done it if any old joe blogs seen her run would think you have got a good dog there even friends commented on the bitch and how we'll she ran she just made every thing look easy I seen her catch things that even I dint think could be caught her speed ability too catch was far superior too her brother but if she dint feel like running she wasn't running that was the worst part some you would not even have too hiss her on at and some she would just stare at it like ow look there's a bunny I think I'll have a piss instead I can even mind one night a bunny on another side of the fence jumping about and she could see this and was keen too go so off the slip she went straight up too the fence turned round and came running back 10 seconds later after it's gone I jump the fence and she follows suit clears the fence as if nothing is wrong after that that was it we parted ways after 3 years of trying too understand that bitch I could never wrap my head around her

Good honest post Joe ,

But on the matter of strange behaviour I had a 1/2 cross that used to run and jump on my back and bite my neck ,I lost all respect for him after that especially when mates exaggerated and said he was humping me ,found it hard to be alone or look him in the eye,thankfully he jacked not long after and barked at his quarry ,so was relieved and pts,

I had the last laugh ,or maybe he did as my mates still take the piss.

• Like 2

I've got one here . my first Lurcher. Put my heart and soul into him I could write a book about it. Hancock bred. Some subtle underlying querks. Highly strung. Fast powerful animal. Absolute angel with my baby boy but an absolute twat of a dog.

Looking back at the mistakes I've made I see several problems i be created regarding retrieve etc. But his general ora is annoying . I've seen him rolling in badger crap with a deer stood 20 yards away. He loves chasing stuff but lacks the bite.he is a good rabbit dog if a little big at 27 " . he steals at any opportunity. Whines regularly. Pisses everywhere . scratches the ground up just as a rabbit is about to leave cover. I can't be bothered to explain it but its soul destroying after three years to decide...nope enough excuses he is shit.if he wasn't a pet I would pts. He's physically superb and mentally crap. My next pup will be a working dog end of. Just to add dace is also becoming aggressive towards other male dogs. Want to get his nuts off but feel it could be out of hatred so I'll leave it for now. He will lie on the sofa and stare at me for an hour. As it stands now he just has a negative impact on my life so he has my wife to thank for his existence . now he's currently teaching my cracking bushing pup how to whine , range at distance and other bad habits...he may do as a guard dog when we move abroad.

He's lovely dog though mate lol

Cheers, D.

I just had a feeling about him from the start and that's a bad way to go about things, I couldn't get enthusiastic about him at all so rather than pts I rehomed him somewhere he will never be bred from ...shame as he was a nice dog about the house

What do you expect when the owner is a complete f***ing article, it's no wonder the dog was the same !!

In all seriousness, you gave it a chance that it wouldn't have got when we came across it mate.....at least it's on a sofa and not walking the street with the lad you took it off ;)