.177 Or .22

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go...........   Both mate. It doesn't matter. Honestly. Hit the spot and its dead.   Learn your aim points with a .22     Mount your glass as low as possible for a .177 and just aim dea

YES REZ!   It really lifts them and throws them to one side. Puts a big hole right through the skull.   The strangest encounter I ever had with a rat and my HW80 was about 15 years ago but I'll ne

Really I just think .22 is better for rabbits and .177 is best for feather. Calibre is a tool to be used but, if you shoot .177 with all confidence then that's what is working for you. For others it's

Posted Images

Looked over my zero and adjustments scope figures on my HW 100 ks .22 and my HW 100 kt .177 at x 8 mag.

HW 100 KS .22 zero 28 yd

35 yd 1 md h/over

40 yd 2 md h/over

45 yd 3 md h/over

50 yds 4 md h/over.

HW 100 KT .177 34 yd zero

30 yd perfect zero (within 1 inch)

40 yd perfect zero (within 1 inch)

45 yds 3/4 md h/over

50 yds 1 md h/over

So shooting and threading a shot through spindle branches the 30 yds to 40 yds zero of .177 speaks volumes. Place the cross hairs of .177 on target and expect to hit the target.

Shooting the same distances in .22 (out to 40 yds only) you must give up to 2 milldots hold over through spindle branches, etc, etc.

In my opinion 177 rules completely in woodland, and very tight shots. Both calibres are equally accurate on open ground if you know your equipment/ milldots well.

After 30 yds in woodland, and shooting through spindle branches .22 becomes totally redundant to my mind.

Open ground (for me) out to 40 yds in .22.( accurate humane shots)

In .177 on open ground out to 50 yds easily and very accurate (humane shots).

Going back to woodland and taking a shot at a squirrel, or wood pigeon`s vital areas at 50 yds "through branches" !

.177 requires 1 milldot h/over max` compared to .22 requiring 4 milldots h/over !!!

atb

Edited by mark williams

Really I just think .22 is better for rabbits and .177 is best for feather. Calibre is a tool to be used but, if you shoot .177 with all confidence then that's what is working for you. For others it's .22 that is best.

As long as we are producing the most humane head shots as far as we possibly can, to the best of our ability, than no one can say more.

Simon

• Like 4

Really I just think .22 is better for rabbits and .177 is best for feather. Calibre is a tool to be used but, if you shoot .177 with all confidence then that's what is working for you. For others it's .22 that is best.

As long as we are producing the most humane head shots as far as we possibly can, to the best of our ability, than no one can say more.

Simon

Would you say a .20 is a "good all rounder", fitting right in between both calibers or is a .20 a calibre of its own right and to be reconsidered?

Simon

Would you say a .20 is a "good all rounder", fitting right in between both calibers or is a .20 a calibre of its own right and to be reconsidered?

.20 is every bit as good as both .22 or .177. in the right hands. ;) As before, all calibre ammo is a tool to be used. .20cal is a good all-round calibre but then so are both the others. You are a bit limited for choice of pellet in .20 and that can be a headache with some rifles/makers.. But, from what I've seen for myself, Weihrauch spring and gasram HW90 rifles and H&N ammo in this calibre are very well suited together.

• Like 1

Played about with chairgun this morning after reading through this topic and just a quick comparison between call's

First one is set up to be .20 cal airgun not hmr!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zud18kxnl14u52/chairgun001.jpg?dl=0

Second one is .22

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3egv6i9i0qwfib/chairgun002.jpg?dl=0

Third .177

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpnuxqy9dlm863l/chairgun003.jpg?dl=0

All adjusted to approx 11.6 ft/lbs, scope set to 8x all othe factors set the same between cals.

This is just a cross ref as it would totally rely on the marksman hitting the spot.

Interestingly theres not much between .2 and .22 in mildot drop but the .177 has a noticed flatter flight and mildot drop.

• Like 1

Does any one shoot a 25

We are shooting a lot of rats at the moment

I have a hw100 in 177 but it seem that unless you hit them in the head

They manage to get back into the rubbish

Ratmanwan is shooting a scan in 22

Now that does stop them

there are 100s of them it's great but I am contemplating a 25

I only use air rifles for work ie rats and pigeons in buildings

So range is not an issue

Risky post but I would tend to agree. Rats can be shot with a 177 very well as shown by the choob stars, very very well in fact. But I would personally use a larger calibre for the short range toughies.

Unless your set up is topping the scales power wise, I don't think there is any need for the .25, within reason. It does hit bloody hard mind.

Against feathers I'm not sure it's as good out to 30+ yards.

• Like 2