What Birds Have You Got Nesting?

At the moment we've got Blue tit's in all the boxes. Robins in the stable, in a flower pot and in the wood store, in a box my boy made, all with eggs.

Wrens nests almost every where they can, in the canoe, in my boys Suzuki jeeps wing, in one of his camps, one of our benders, under the ferret hutch, not checked them for eggs.

And the reason for this thread we have after 8 years of Squirrels, Starlings and Earwigs. We finally have something decent in our owl box, Kestrels! I am well please.

Anyone got anything interesting?

• Like 6

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The male wren builds loads of nests then takes the female around them and she chooses which nest she will lay in.   TC

At the moment we've got Blue tit's in all the boxes. Robins in the stable, in a flower pot and in the wood store, in a box my boy made, all with eggs. Wrens nests almost every where they can, in the

I would be surprised if a blue tit has young at this time of year. There is no food for the young. In fact, I'd go further and say that I would be surprised to see a blue tit on eggs even.   The way

Posted Images

The male wren builds loads of nests then takes the female around them and she chooses which nest she will lay in.

TC

Yeah they're a nuisance, I missed out on selling a Landrover cause I didn't want to disturb a nest on/in the rear suspension. Turns out they didn't use it, didn't know about the many nest thing then.

I would be surprised if a blue tit has young at this time of year. There is no food for the young. In fact, I'd go further and say that I would be surprised to see a blue tit on eggs even.

The way to tell if the wren is using the nest is to look for a feathered lining....and fresh moss to the entrance hole....

Cock nests are always bare.

• Like 4

You're correct Mr D that photo was from last year. It's one of the same boxes being visited now.

Just looked in as I was loading some wood and the Robin was sitting. The eggs were cold two days ago.

Once I suss the posting photos business, I've got some crackers.

Aye....they are actually one of the later birds to lay, due to the fact that they only have one clutch but it tends to be a big one and their timing has to be spot on due to the reliance on caterpillars and larvae needed to feed a ravenous brood. They'll be checking the holes out now, maybe thinking about doing a bit of spring cleaning. :victory: