why cant you use a 12g ,can you not put a back stop up and only shoot if you get a good clear shot ? , is the land past for a rimfire ? bloody foxes have been have chickens and ducks off my friends garden over the last few weeks.

Daz :)

Id say it has something to do with the houses close by ...

What does it matter if the land as been passed for a rimmy , if a person as an open ticket its up to them to judge wether the land is save or not ...

i didnt know that, i thought the land had to be deemed fit for a rimfire, learning every day :) cheers !

Daz

• Like 1

Only if you have a closed ticket, which means you can shoot on land that is passed only, open ticket means you can shoot anywhere you have authority, the onus being on you to decide if the shot is safe or not, which of course you should take great care in doing, passed or not.

• Like 1

Agree with Charlie.

If you're open, you just apply simple common sense such as if houses are close by, shoot from that perimeter direction directly into the land ie away from the houses or if that direction isn't safe, find a diagonal direction away from the houses that is and ensure you have a good backstop and enough land to allow for a ricochet then bait it to bring it into the safe zone. If it isn't possible, then at that point you need to resort the to shotty. However, remember a shotty isn't spent to around 120 yards with large shot and even then, anything, even if spent, exiting the land will have you in trouble so again if you can't backstop even a shotty and don't have several hundreds of clearance if in "free air", then don't take the shot. Saving grace is it's easier to backstop a shotty than a rifle and I've never seen a situation with ground game, soft ground (special care needed with rocky ground) and a shotty where you couldn't get a backstop this side of prey being on a ridge. Only option with no safe shot is to rig a seat, get high and shoot down, or buy a trap.

I also agree with Charlie that 1 bang from a shottie isn't the end of the world. If people live near a farm they have to expect normal "farm noise". A single shot in an evening up to about 12pm isn't the end of the world. Start shooting after 12pm or start shooting clays though, and the neighbours definitely won't like you!

Edited by Alsone