Immigrating To Canada

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi,   I posted on here a while ago about immigrating to Canada. I applied for my permanent residency back in may, and, good news, I have just received them now........ yippee ....... woop woop .

Hi Maxhardcore, heres an update for yah. As you know when we landed we stayed with friends and the first job was to get a vehicle to be able to drive about and look at areas that we would like to liv

hi all, my final update before we go, we have managed to sell nearly every thing with only my 4x4 left to sell, its actually gone quite smooth, we have got to say the rest of our good byes to friends

Posted Images

I've been looking into this myself, been offered work at 850 a week after tax 5 weeks on 1 off, would that make comfortable living over there, that's gbp not dollars

hi len, at £850 a week, that would be $1700 a week, where about's would you be working? and what would you be doing? The only reason that I ask is the average wage in Calgary appears to be $28 an hour based on a 40 hour week. So your offer is exceptional. Is it in the oil industry? if it is in the oil, it's very clicky if your face dont fit your in for a rough ride, but on that wage you could live very well no problem. tilly

I've been looking into this myself, been offered work at 850 a week after tax 5 weeks on 1 off, would that make comfortable living over there, that's gbp not dollars

hi len, at £850 a week, that would be $1700 a week, where about's would you be working? and what would you be doing? The only reason that I ask is the average wage in Calgary appears to be $28 an hour based on a 40 hour week. So your offer is exceptional. Is it in the oil industry? if it is in the oil, it's very clicky if your face dont fit your in for a rough ride, but on that wage you could live very well no problem. tilly

carpentry/joinery, not sure where exactly, yes that's 850 gbp its through a company here so its def construction

• 2 months later...

Whats the temps like this week tilly?I am arriving saturday -31 with windchill. :laugh: My mates just been complaining to me earlier how cold west london is :laugh:

hi mack its not to bad at the mo, yesterday it was 16/ 61 degrees, the last time it was this warm was 90 years ago, there having BBQ's already lol, around 14 today blue sky's, we get a lot of sun here with hardly any rain, we still got snow tho but its starting to thor a bit, it's ment to be good weather for a while so you should be ok, :thumbs: i think they've had blizzards on the east coasts so dont go there :huh: lol! tilly

carpentry/joinery, not sure where exactly, yes that's 850 gbp its through a company here so its def construction

That's a bit weird Len? No shortage of joiners in Canada, loads of em mate................A mate went late 70's, he's a joiner, he said there was a rule that if any Canadian joiners were out of work, foreigners couldn't take that job? Only what he told me, and things could be different now? He said bricklaying was good, short season though with the weather, the brickies he got to know laid bricks in summer, and had driving jobs in winter?

Same over here this winter

Crazy temps of 12-14 degrees regular

No wonder we getting so much rain

And there's been heavy winds for most of the winter.

Normal weather cycles or global warming ?

i'm no expert on the weather mate but, i reckon it's the normal cycle of weather rather than global warming, its only been warmer since last week...ish, but before that its been regularly between -9 to -18 and at times a chill factor of -25 to -29, we get Chinook winds here were it blows down from the rockies and raises the temperatures up, it could be -10 to start the day off, then over a few hours it could go up 10 to 20 degrees for a day or two!! then passes through and the temp drops back to the minuses or what ever, the greatest recorded temperature change in 24 hours caused by a Chinook wind was in 1972 in Montana, the temp rose from -48 to 9 degrees, tilly

So how's everything went all in upto now Tilly ?

Is it what you expected?

Better ? Worse ?

No matter what you's have had a good few months over there already .

Prob seen what most will never see in their lives .

hi max, its all going really good, we have made some new friends, funnily enough there from Yorkshire they've been here for 4 years now, they said they would never go back home now, not even to visit, we've been here now for eight and a half months and getting used to the place, but now we are getting itchy feet to move to another part of Canada, we came to Calgary only to stay with our friends, and now we have settled in from the move over here we have seen some more appealing places to live, Saskatchewan looks nice a long with Labrador,Newfoundland, we were talking about it last night i fancy moving to Yukon and getting into the gold mining, I've always fancied doing it, is it what we expected? yes it was, you get loads more for your money here, with more freedom and chances in general, so that answers your next question, much much better, yeah we have seen some nice things, yesterday we was sitting in the garden having a coffee and two bold eagles flew over head, there nesting down the road according to my mate, ive been within 10m of a coyote watching him rear up on his back legs and smash through the snow with his front legs and pull out a gofer, also pelicans on the bow river, ive got some nice photos of the wildlife, the rockys, big tucks,Calgary, etc, so we are enjoying ourselves at the minute max. tilly.

• Like 1

Whats the temps like this week tilly?I am arriving saturday -31 with windchill. :laugh: My mates just been complaining to me earlier how cold west london is :laugh:

hi mack its not to bad at the mo, yesterday it was 16/ 61 degrees, the last time it was this warm was 90 years ago, there having BBQ's already lol, around 14 today blue sky's, we get a lot of sun here with hardly any rain, we still got snow tho but its starting to thor a bit, it's ment to be good weather for a while so you should be ok, :thumbs: i think they've had blizzards on the east coasts so dont go there :huh: lol! tilly
yes east coast Tilly,we landed Saturday and the forecaster had it wrong,it was -42 including windchill,absolutely freezing my nuts off,it was -50 further north,practically tropical today at -10,but we are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow,heavy snow all day.I like your idea about gold mining,I met an old opal miner from Australia years ago in Manila,as we parted company I said be lucky mate,he gave me a wink and said you make your own luck in this world mate,hope you strike gold.
  • Like 1

That's a bit weird Len? No shortage of joiners in Canada, loads of em mate................A mate went late 70's, he's a joiner, he said there was a rule that if any Canadian joiners were out of work, foreigners couldn't take that job? Only what he told me, and things could be different now? He said bricklaying was good, short season though with the weather, the brickies he got to know laid bricks in summer, and had driving jobs in winter?

nothing weird about a contractor from here taking work abroad mate, they take plenty on in England too as well as Scotland, the work ain't here so they're chasing the money from further afield

yes east coast Tilly,we landed Saturday and the forecaster had it wrong,it was -42 including windchill,absolutely freezing my nuts off,it was -50 further north,practically tropical today at -10,but we are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow,heavy snow all day.I like your idea about gold mining,I met an old opal miner from Australia years ago in Manila,as we parted company I said be lucky mate,he gave me a wink and said you make your own luck in this world mate,hope you strike gold.

hi mate, where about's on the east side have you gone to? is it business or pleasure, -42 wow that's heavy, wrap up warm lol, the east side seems to be taking a bashing at the mo, there's a Chinook wind here today pushing the temps up with nice blue skies, how long you here for?

We had 2 feet of snow today and it is still coming down heavily,the end of the road is blocked,I walked down to the store and it was like re-enacting "The revenant" I know how Leonardo di caprio felt,I wish I had taken a pair of snow shoes out the garage now as it's difficult walking through deep fresh snow.Just outside Ottawa but going to Quebec next week,my woman's Canadian so it's visiting family and friends mate,I was out last October,beautiful place in the fall but brutal in the winter.

• Like 1