Home Office Announces Increase In Firearms Licensing Fees

Yeah but £167.50 is hardly worth complaining about over 5 years.

That depends for unemployed, retired or under 18's that could be the increase that prices them out of the market.

As I said, if the HO wanted to increase fees, then it would have been better if they'd given something back in return such as a 10 yr duration (which also takes the pressure off FEO's / departments as well)

5 years is fine by me. mental state can change far quicker than that. as for cost, over 5 years, another £7.60 a year max increase is an increase worth swallowing if they dont change the rules

Mental state can change in weeks. You're supposed to declare any change. It doesn't really make it any safer unless you renew once a month and even then, you could become unstable a week after the grant.

The BASC are supporting the fees as proportionate and I would agree that if there hasn't been any change since 2001, then they probably are proportionate (however don't lose sight of the fact that the police wanted a £109 increase originally).

However, form memory the BASC were also wanting the renewal period to change from 5 to 10 years, which helps everybody - the police because it 1/2's the workload and thus makes grants, renewals and investigations quicker, and the shooter because it makes it cheaper and makes renewal time with all the forms etc come around less often.

If they increase the price and increase to 10 years then it's pointless increasing the price in the first place. Under 18's I'm sure mum and dad would pay, unemployed aren't as bad off as people think (I WAS unemployed for 2 years) and I'm not at all sure about pensioners.

The police aren't supposed to make a profit out of the grant of licences so the fee increase is supposed to cover their costs in processing, not earn them money.

The problem is they know how we feel about our sport

Just like fags they people will pay what ever they ask

If the fee goes up to £500 most of us would still find it

It's just another case of grab your ankles and grit your teeth

I'm happy with that. Seems reasonable.

What I consider unreasonable however is having to renew it at all. A car license lasts for more than 5 years so why exactly should a shotgun or firearms license last for less?

I can't see any reason not to completely remove the burden of renewals!

People are losing sight of the fact that licensing according to the authorities was brought about to ensure public safety. Licensing in no way benefits the licence holder, quite the opposite infact. So if it is all about public safety then the brunt of cost should be borne from the public purse and not expect shooters to cover full costs, which is what the acpo are after.

:laugh::laugh:

Had a range sesh with it last week in a digital pipe range.

100mtr three shot groups, on the 5cm bull one on top of the other, one single small hole :D bloody laser beam that thing

I'll take that as a no then ..! :laugh:

• Like 1

Any increase is a pain, regardless of whether "YOU" can afford it or not!

I have been Coterminous for many renewals and it doesn't look as bad as it may have been.

Whilst these figures are allegedly some representation of cost, as a matter of interest, does anyone know how the new charges stack up against inflation since the last increase?