Cleaning Traps

I've had my traps out for awhile, mainly half barrels and i have never cleaned them down at all and noticed the spring action has slowed alittle.probly due to mud and soil in the spring. Is it ok to give them a wash? And can you use a lubricator such as wd40 or this a no no.....

Every now and again, when my traps are really crapped up, i will give them a good pressure washing. It helps to keep them in good working order and free of grit etc and goes some way to prevent corrosion.

But there is no way i would be putting any oil/lubricant on them.

I've only ever washed mine once and that was because they were really clagged up and I wanted to do some work on them.Normally I'll let them dry as they are and immediately before putting them in at the next job I do a dry fire to shake off the dried soil. I've had some traps in at a job for five weeks now mopping up all the neighbouring moles coming through the garden and they still work fine.

Look after your kit and it'll work hard for you :yes:

I pressure wash all my traps off between jobs. It keeps them clean, helps to stop corrosion, and gives me a chance to check them over and tweak them if necessary.

I don't lubricate my traps (they don't really need it), but a large proportion of my traps have been treated with Speed Dip. A much larger proportion will be dipped this summer during my quiet season :thumbs:

Well I'm a lazy sod and never clean mine, only rub off different soil types between jobs, BUT she who shall not be named regularlyfinds traps in her motor with moles in varying degrees of decomposition. My boy and his family refuse to get in her motor after one incident!!!!!

• Like 2

Buy stainless. No corrosion to worry about ;)

Indeed :thumbs:

Happily, the new 'SuperDuffs' will be 100% stainless :thumbs:

But I'll still be giving them their rinse :yes: Old habits die hard :yes:

--------------------

Any news on how long these adjustments will take Matt?

Well I'm a lazy sod and never clean mine, only rub off different soil types between jobs, BUT she who shall not be named regularlyfinds traps in her motor with moles in varying degrees of decomposition. My boy and his family refuse to get in her motor after one incident!!!!!

:laugh: not just me then? for a year every one refused to get in my truck it was only when my netting partner got in one night and said take that mole off the dash and their was a mole shaped outline of fur and skin that it was a bit too much..i sold the vitara to some one with no seance of smell and got a pick up that way all the nasty stuff stays in the back and i can wash it out :thumbs:

Scanky Cumbrian :laugh:

There's nothing quite like finding a 'melted' mole under one of the seats :blink: I once spent hours fruitlessly searching for the source of a really stinker in a van... :whistling:

I now have a new policy :yes: dead stuff that's not edible (even in a bad month) stays on site :thumbs: