Advice On Runaway Lurcher

Guest alcapone

Guest alcapone

Ive made a mistake with this pup by the sounds of it,will take her back to basics now and take it from there. Its nothing major so hopefully get ot corrected and she be ready for next season. The re bonding thing needs to happen i think,she has been over looke a bit really as terriers tend to take priority here,my own fault so will put more one to one time into her. Thanks foe replies.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the dogs version of 'puberty'. Just hand feed her for a week and she'll be fine...if she don't come back then she's going to be awful hungry. They all come back.

dont think it would be hard for a dog to out smart most of the feckers on here LOL

this dog, had the same problem, recall, was when he wanted to come to me, I received this dog when he was about 10 months old, his training was about zero, and he was extremely nervous, the only way

Loads of good advice already given, another thing you could try is when you take her out for her walk take a toy of her's or a ball to play fetch and retrieve with all part of the basic training, makes you the most exciting and fun thing to be with.

I'm sure you will get their in the end.

ATB Chisler

Its a common fault in Saluki xs, as said above the bond, every time you call her into you, a wee tit-bit, a long line works with the tit bit, one they are very strong

headed and at the same time very sensitive, I have a 5 year old one , he is a master of the deaf ear, but you learn to work with it because they make it up to you in the stuff, they are able to catch, stay calm and cool at all times, do not use the heavy hand, you will over come that problem,

Tug play. Using a furry lure to excite her interest, best of all take her ferreting on her own, just you and her: bet she doesn't bugger off then. It will help her to see you as essential to her fun in life.

• Like 1
Guest alcapone

Border Lad i dont feel this is to do with the trait of the type,this is human error this time. Skycat il try the ferreting thanks,one to one seems to be where ive gone wrong also.

The thing is with some Saluki types and pures is that their drive is focussed purely on what they can hunt and catch. Anything that doesn't fall into this very narrow perception of what is important to them, is bound to bore them or not even be relevant to them in any way. They simply do not perceive people as essential: but you can make them see you as essential by engaging their prey drive: hence tug play, usually with something furry, and to see you as an essential part of the ferreting team. I've had dogs similar to yours, but out ferreting they become completely focussed on what I and the ferrets are doing. It isn't as though they are stupid, they just can't see the necessity of coming when called unless there is something major in it for them, and the major thing has got to be prey.

• Like 1

put the fecker on a bungee she will run so far then come flying back :angel: As several have said make yourself so interesting to her she cant resist you keep calm feed her and stay around while she eats make a fuss of her every time your around ,it is just a matter of you being recognised as the pack leader or in her case her leader, she obviously knows where her home is and feels safe enough on home turf to let you put her in the kennel so just reinforce the trust and bond extending the boundaries the more confident she feels patience and more patience calmness wins the day in the end atb

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

Tug play. Using a furry lure to excite her interest, best of all take her ferreting on her own, just you and her: bet she doesn't bugger off then. It will help her to see you as essential to her fun in life.

I agree with sky sometimes bond wont fully come until you take them hunting ive known lads pull there hair out through it quickest way to get them out of it is lamping slip on bunny if it misses dont move on or lamp till its back on lead it can take patience

some can just be doing it because it no's your walk and no's it off home it isnt ready lead it up earlier than you normally do

ffs its in there dna for thousands of years they are programed to catch,and look for game .i let mine hunt up its what they do , just cos they are sighthounds doesnt meen they dont have a nose!! ive seen mine go in the midle of a field and dig a vole out of the ground ,,,you need to spend time with the animal !!

• Like 2
Guest alcapone

Thanks dessertbred,im used to making myself iresistable to females.lol She is safe it home and apart from looking sheepish was none the worse for her galavanting. More one to one and a bond appears to be important,ive over looked the importance of a bond with her,have had 2 other saluki bred pups in the past and and let them go to friends after id made similar mistakes,put it down to typical saluki x's,its all been human error looking back,time i educated myself.