Who Checks Ammo?

I feel I should know this but I don't. Recently got my ticket and was wondering how the ammo thing works? My 1417 likes Winchester but the nearest rfd is an hour away. Can ammo be bought through the post? And when ammo is bought who keeps a check on it? Does the rfd send to the police?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be pedantic but I should imagine he is using expanding ammunition which is sect 5 not sect 1

Sorry Alsone, yours was a reply with some info in it. Did know this. Was being sarcastic at those who hadn't read the bit that said .22lr.

Convenience, your financial position, location, difficulty in finding ammo etc etc are not recognised good reasons for BULK buying in the eyes of the law!   It is possible some regions may support y

Ammo can't be sent by post. It has to go by courier to another RFD and you have to pick it up from there. Usually the 2nd RFD makes a charge for the service.

I don't know who registers it but at a guess the 1st RFD probably registers it as sold to the 2nd RFD, who probably registers it as sold to you.

Ammo can't be sent by post. It has to go by courier to another RFD and you have to pick it up from there. Usually the 2nd RFD makes a charge for the service.

I don't know who registers it but at a guess the 1st RFD probably registers it as sold to the 2nd RFD, who probably registers it as sold to you.

Are you talking about ammo in the sense of rifle ammo or cartridges generally? Because that certainly isn't the case with shotgun cartridges!

Edited by Deker

Are you talking about ammo in the sense of rifle ammo or cartridges generally? Because that certainly isn't the case with shotgun cartridges!

Well both really. Tickets for .22LR, FAC air and shotgun. Haven't got shotgun yet but intend to. Working on FAC air. Don't know what to buy that i can afford and be happy with. guess I'll save up the pennies for a Mk2 Rapid.

I have a RFD quite near but Winchester won't supply him and the subs he sells sre mainly CCI. So can .22LR ammo be couriered or not? If so what is a typical RFD charge for the service

Well both really. Tickets for .22LR, FAC air and shotgun. Haven't got shotgun yet but intend to. Working on FAC air. Don't know what to buy that i can afford and be happy with. guess I'll save up the pennies for a Mk2 Rapid.

I have a RFD quite near but Winchester won't supply him and the subs he sells sre mainly CCI. So can .22LR ammo be couriered or not? If so what is a typical RFD charge for the service

To be honest I'm not actually sure about the position with rifle cartridges, but I know 100% historically they could be couriered to a private address, not sure if that is still the case, but shotgun carts most certainly can be, or this lot would be out of business!

http://www.justcartridges.com/howtoorder

Edited by Deker

Section 1 ammo must be courierable, or how else would the RFDs get their stock? They still wouldn't send it to a private FAC holder though.

I reckon your only solution is to ask your RFD if he can get some Winchester from another RFD and obviously pay a bit extra for it - or drive a bit further afield to get it.

Start reloading. You will be surprised at what can be sent through the post theses days (at a cost of course). The only reason that I need to visit my RFD these days is for primers, but I dare say that someone will start doing these soon, if they don't already (?).

Start reloading. You will be surprised at what can be sent through the post theses days (at a cost of course). The only reason that I need to visit my RFD these days is for primers, but I dare say that someone will start doing these soon, if they don't already (?).

Expanding bullets cannot be sent mail order and sect 35 of the vcr means that primers can only be sold face to face and on production of an fac

Aye, thought so about the primers, and yes I agree about Section 5. Have you tried A-MAX v V-MAX though? I have found no difference in the performance and yet A-MAX is classed as a match bullet and as result does not fall into Section 5. :thumbs:

Aye, thought so about the primers, and yes I agree about Section 5. Have you tried A-MAX v V-MAX though? I have found no difference in the performance and yet A-MAX is classed as a match bullet and as result does not fall into Section 5. :thumbs:

To be honest I reckon they are the same used both and as you say no difference in performance at all

To be honest I reckon they are the same used both and as you say no difference in performance at all

Long may it continue. I use a online company that delivers the next day, so I only have the ball-ache of driving to the RFD once in a blue moon to stock up on primers. Happy days.