After months of umming and ahhing about it, I decided to fork out for some genuine Talpex traps for those annoying trap blockers we all have from time to time :yes:

Anyway, following a recommendation from Mr Wasp, in the early hours of Friday morning I ordered 10 from Ratbait, and within hours I had a text message confirmation that my order had been dispatched and would be delivered on Monday.

At 10am today, APC knocked the door with my box of traps.

Outstanding service!

Anyway, it's been a few years since I've handled these traps, and I have to say that they stink of quality. They are well built and strong and should see service for a good few years.

Previously, I ordered Talpex via the normal pest control suppliers, but as I'm no longer a pest controller, and they don't even bother sending me catalogues these days I needed a new supplier.

I'm not sure what prices Killgerm and the rest are selling these for now, but I paid £85 for ten including delivery :yes:

For those of you thinking about buying new traps this season I'd strongly advise you not to penny pinch to much; you get what you pay for in life and I want traps that are going to take lots of abuse over a long period of time.

Anyway, as it's sleeting and hailing sideways at the moment, I thought I'd hop on here and share that with you all :thumbs:

Link to Ratbait

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started off with the Talpa's, but I had a frustrating year of not catching in them despite the trap being triggered. I was told by a certain person on here to set them so fine that 'a goldfinches fa

I believe that the issue with the talpa firing and not catching has nothing to do with spring strength. Alas, our strict non educational policy does not allow me to elaborate

Perthshire....are you on about Fenns? :laugh: :laugh:

Posted Images

I can't believe you get trap blockers Matt, apparently it's all about how you set and fine tune your traps.

You'll find some good advice on this forum --- (snigger)

Seriously though, as I said in my prev post I've been having problems in one area with blocking.

The Talpex trap jaws look to be a bit wider when open compared to scissor jaws, does this mean they are set back further into the tunnell wall and less likely to be felt by the mole.

Edited by mazperks

I can't believe you get trap blockers Matt, apparently it's all about how you set and fine tune your traps.

You'll find some good advice on this forum --- (snigger)

Seriously though, as I said in my prev post I've been having problems in one area with blocking.

The Talpex trap jaws look to be a bit wider when open compared to scissor jaws, does this mean they are set back further into the tunnell wall and less likely to be felt by the mole.

Mate, we all get blockers from time to time :yes: usually I pick the little blighter up in a different trap, but it's nice to have an alternative :thumbs:

Yes, the jaws on these traps are quite widely spaced, so in theory, they'll be hidden within the walls of the tunnel.

Talpex work in a different way to normal scissor type traps; the mole isn't pushing forward to trigger the trap, but upwards. That's why the lend themselves to backfilling so well :yes: The spring power on these traps is simply awesome, plenty strong enough to power through the backfilled soil and catch the intended victim :thumbs:

As Mr Wasp says, it pays to invest in the best you can find, especially when you are trying to make a living at this ere ole mole game :thumbs:

I started off with the Talpa's, but I had a frustrating year of not catching in them despite the trap being triggered. I was told by a certain person on here to set them so fine that 'a goldfinches fart' would trip them. I bet they had some chuckles thinking about me wondering why i couldn't catch. It took a while, but I sussed the Talpa, but I wasn't keen on them. Enter the Talpex. Suddenly I was catching lots more, and any blocked duffus types were soon swapped for the Talpex. I now have 50 of them, most are in the ground, or will be by the end of today. I still use duffus types as my mainstay, but for gardens I wouldn't want to be without the Talpex.

ratbait is a fantastic company, well worth dealing with.... :victory:

• Like 2

I started off with the Talpa's, but I had a frustrating year of not catching in them despite the trap being triggered. I was told by a certain person on here to set them so fine that 'a goldfinches fart' would trip them. I bet they had some chuckles thinking about me wondering why i couldn't catch. It took a while, but I sussed the Talpa, but I wasn't keen on them.

I believe that the issue with the talpa firing and not catching has nothing to do with spring strength.

Alas, our strict non educational policy does not allow me to elaborate :laugh:

• Like 2

I started off with the Talpa's, but I had a frustrating year of not catching in them despite the trap being triggered. I was told by a certain person on here to set them so fine that 'a goldfinches fart' would trip them. I bet they had some chuckles thinking about me wondering why i couldn't catch. It took a while, but I sussed the Talpa, but I wasn't keen on them.

I believe that the issue with the talpa firing and not catching has nothing to do with spring strength.

Alas, our strict non educational policy does not allow me to elaborate :laugh:

I dis-agree.....

I started off with the Talpa's, but I had a frustrating year of not catching in them despite the trap being triggered. I was told by a certain person on here to set them so fine that 'a goldfinches fart' would trip them. I bet they had some chuckles thinking about me wondering why i couldn't catch. It took a while, but I sussed the Talpa, but I wasn't keen on them. Enter the Talpex. Suddenly I was catching lots more, and any blocked duffus types were soon swapped for the Talpex. I now have 50 of them, most are in the ground, or will be by the end of today. I still use duffus types as my mainstay, but for gardens I wouldn't want to be without the Talpex.

ratbait is a fantastic company, well worth dealing with.... :victory:

Cannot see why you had problems.... :blink:

I gave you that advice, because the style of trap was new to you..

I wanted to impress upon you, the need to set the pin so that it would not fall back into the wee hole on the trigger plate..

I only meant to help you,.nothing more than that,...and I have certainly never laughed at you..

I don't find anything about you funny.... :censored:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1

Well I'd like to have been out using any kind of trap today, but no, my sodding van decided it wanted to have a day off again! So that's bloody it, I'm off to Bolton of all places to pick up my new van tomorrow.

But that's fine, I'll only be another three days behind than I already was. Grrrrrrr

Might get meself some of them talpex when I can afford it again "about 2020"

I purchased a batch of talpex copies last week just to give them a go really....... They have earned more than there keep already and I've noticed no diffrence at all with their catch rate compared to that of the real thing.... But at £3 a trap they are easier on the pocket.

One of my local garden shops does genuine Talpex at €9.99 and with the current exchange rate that works out at £7.35 so quite a bargain at the moment. I've got just over twenty but I'll stock up on another ten before the exchange rate drops again.

Most of my trapping is either in claggy clay or stony ground and so I can't use them as much as I do the Flatpacks