Creosalt Cones

I'd also question the legality of using a non-approved repellent in a manner for which it's not approved.....

Be careful out there lads; there's more than just field sports enthusiasts that read this forum...

I understand, and i am just talking off the cuff, its just an idea thats all , one i think would work if done right and i am sure i am not alone in saying Creo does clear them rabbit holes but it's a method used a long time ago that is maybe not so PC today

I'd also question the legality of using a non-approved repellent in a manner for which it's not approved.....

Be careful out there lads; there's more than just field sports enthusiasts that read this forum...

I understand, and i am just talking off the cuff, its just an idea thats all , one i think would work if done right and i am sure i am not alone in saying Creo does clear them rabbit holes but it's a method used a long time ago that is maybe not so PC today

It's not a question of being Politically Correct :no:

Not only is it ineffective, as a method, but it's also illegal. :yes:

That is of course, presuming you can find somewhere prepared to sell it, and fork out £50 for a 5 gallon container..... :yes:

It's not a question of being Politically Correct :no:

Not only is it ineffective, as a method, but it's also illegal. :yes:

That is of course, presuming you can find somewhere prepared to sell it, and fork out £50 for a 5 gallon container..... :yes:

well if it's Illegal i won't be doing it then, i always stay within the law, thanks for pointing this out, another great reason why more people should join the forum, thanks for letting me know :thumbs:

I always prefer to use crabs from the seaside with burning candles on their backs to go down into rabbit holes to do this - a far more effective method IMO ...

I hope you supply protective equipment to your crabs, viz vest and boots are a must , if something was to fall on there claws they could get seriously injured or even worse...

Are the candles Creosalt scented ?

I cant see you being able to pump the smoke into the depth's of a big old rabbit burrow , then why would i drag a bucket full of cones round a burrow then come back and try and get the rabbits by another method when i could just drag a box of ferrets round a warren and net them first time with no hassles ?.

Them out poaching books make good reading but thats where they belong in the past

• Like 1

If i couldn't catch a few rabbits without having to resort to such stupid , amateurish and unworkable methods then i think it would be time to give up

Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.

The two times I used creosote were not on rabbits but worked on another pest. One time was under a load of dumped metal and the other was under where a shed had collapsed. Both places were impossible to dig.

My friend who used it for the trials needed a lot of rabbits above ground at the one time and got that result.

Like I say, 80 to 100 each time, hardly amateurish.

If i couldn't catch a few rabbits without having to resort to such stupid , amateurish and unworkable methods then i think it would be time to give up

Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.

The two times I used creosote were not on rabbits but worked on another pest. One time was under a load of dumped metal and the other was under where a shed had collapsed. Both places were impossible to dig.

My friend who used it for the trials needed a lot of rabbits above ground at the one time and got that result.

Like I say, 80 to 100 each time, hardly amateurish.

back in the 50s [pre mixi ] we stunk rabbits out for gundog trials ,we used parafin mixed with some type of tar what was used on sheep ,it was easy enough to get them out but you needed a large area of cover to hold them in , in our case it was bracken , i am not disputing it can be done i am commenting on the idea that creosote can be used to smoke out rabbits ,WHICH IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT
  • Like 1

Creosote isn't ileagal but its sold for professional use only,to be honest its a waist of good creasote,

Not very cheap either at over £50 for 25 litres......

Whilst the product itself is not illegal, it's use by non-professionals on anything other than Agricultural or Industrial sites is an offence.

It's also a technical offence to use it for a purpose for which it's not been approved. As it's been approved for Timber Preservation, rather than as a repellent, using it to drive out rabbits is also an offence.

As has been said; over and over again, it's also not that effective as a repellent either :no:

Creosote isn't ileagal but its sold for professional use only,to be honest its a waist of good creasote,

Not very cheap either at over £50 for 25 litres......Whilst the product itself is not illegal, it's use by non-professionals on anything other than Agricultural or Industrial sites is an offence.It's also a technical offence to use it for a purpose for which it's not been approved. As it's been approved for Timber Preservation, rather than as a repellent, using it to drive out rabbits is also an offence.As has been said; over and over again, it's also not that effective as a repellent either :no:

Not very cheap either at over £50 for 25 litres......Whilst the product itself is not illegal, it's use by non-professionals on anything other than Agricultural or Industrial sites is an offence.It's also a technical offence to use it for a purpose for which it's not been approved. As it's been approved for Timber Preservation, rather than as a repellent, using it to drive out rabbits is also an offence.As has been said; over and over again, it's also not that effective as a repellent either :no:
Matt I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, the last creosote I bought was £42 for 25 litres, about 2 yr ago, not a price you would waste down a rabbit hole,and having used it as a lad for the subject reason, I can confirm its benefits are arguable, and not worth the outlay for a odd extra rabbit anyway,

Don't be so square all the time :whistling: ,your'll ruin the thought of the anti's digging up rabbit and other animal holes in the attempt of finding a stinky fur cone :laugh:

Don't be so square all the time :whistling: ,your'll ruin the thought of the anti's digging up rabbit and other animal holes in the attempt of finding a stinky fur cone :laugh:

Aye imagine in the future a farmers turning over his field and see all the cones thinking this must of been a pine bloody forest at some time :laugh::laugh::laugh: