Mackerel Fishing From The Rocks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes i use carp rods all the time ,just dont do a full pendulum job lol let the rod compress enough to lob them out , dont use more than 2ozs i use a spod rod most times its capable of a bit more , d

great sport on a 2lbs carp rod or a spinning rod i cant wait for june/july when there running this year i am going to try fly fishing for them.

I use a 3lbTC carp rod, with a 3.5oz lead and 30lb shockleader with feathers

Posted Images

I use a spinning rod ,2oz bomb fixed onto a 3 way swivel bottom loop with a split ring an 18 inch trace off one end loop and your main line onto the other end loop. Size 1/0 hook. thread a sand eel onto the hook and fix in place with bait elastic around the gills and mouth . You only catch one at a time but its brilliant sport. You also pick up pollock ,garfish and the occasional bass

I use a spinning rod ,2oz bomb fixed onto a 3 way swivel bottom loop with a split ring an 18 inch trace off one end loop and your main line onto the other end loop. Size 1/0 hook. thread a sand eel onto the hook and fix in place with bait elastic around the gills and mouth . You only catch one at a time but its brilliant sport. You also pick up pollock ,garfish and the occasional bass

Thats the way mate, I snapped my carp rod from the rocks at Perranporth but you would expect that with my level of skill :whistling::laugh:

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

If I wanted to fish for mackerel from the rocks, would a fairly heavy carp rod and reel do the job?

I know most people use heavy, heavy tackle for sea fishing, but I can't really see why to catch a 1lb mackerel.

And I don't mean now. I mean in the summer.

Advice/tips much appreciated. :thumbs:

Yeah that will do, i use my Pike rods, 12-13ft 3LB test curve

Use a trace for sea fishing too, you never know what your gonna get, Gar Fish follow Mackrell all the time (look very similar with a sword fish type snout/Ugly thing), both will snap normal line with there teeth so use a trace to save you losing your gear.

If I wanted to fish for mackerel from the rocks, would a fairly heavy carp rod and reel do the job?

I know most people use heavy, heavy tackle for sea fishing, but I can't really see why to catch a 1lb mackerel.

Use a trace for sea fishing too, you never know what your gonna get, Gar Fish follow Mackrell all the time (look very similar with a sword fish type snout/Ugly thing), both will snap normal line with there teeth so use a trace to save you losing your gear.

sorry but i dont think theres any need for wire traces when fishing for makerel and garfish lol (if thats what you meant, if not i appolagise) ive caught ALOT of makerel (as most people that go sea fishing probably have) and plenty of gars and have never once been bitten off ??? that i can remember anyway lol

sorry but i dont think theres any need for wire traces when fishing for makerel and garfish lol (if thats what you meant, if not i appolagise) ive caught ALOT of makerel (as most people that go sea fishing probably have) and plenty of gars and have never once been bitten off ??? that i can remember anyway lol

I thought he was using carp gear to go sea fishing ? If he's using 20lb sea fishing line then i wouldn't use a trace but if I wanted to use my carp reel and not take the line off Id use a trace or lose my gear ...

I've lost a lot of fish sea fishing without trace Using 30lb line too, the oceans full of treasures with teeth haha

• Like 1