Air Rifle Calibre Advice.

Hi everyone,

New member and first post.

I'm looking at getting a new rifle primarily for vermin control. Whilst I'm not new to vermin control, or shooting generally, I have very little experience with air rifles.

So the question is a simple one, 177 or 22?

Thanks.

I prefer .177 simply because of the flatter trajectory at legal limit. FAC I'd have .22. If using a pcp and shot count would be an issue for you, remember that you will get more hots per charge with .22.

Saying all that, if you can hit the mark with either it doesn't really matter.

.177 ;)

.22 for vermin in my opinion bud,once you dial in on the drop,you do need the extra clout on live beasties, the 177 will shoot flatter and will be affected by wind more,however in my experiance it dont drop airgun size qaurry like a 22 will,and ive used both.or the 20 will give you a little bit of the good in both callibres,hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hi Z,

I`ve shot most air rifles and calibres over the last 40 + years and i find that the HW 100 allows me to shoot just as well in both calibres .

I have found that either calibre will do the job with ease if your shot placement is correct.

(My) Preferred calibre is 177 and have found improvement in vermin /game bags taken. :victory:

atb

Edited by mark williams
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, I should have guessed that it wasn't going to be clear cut. I was hoping for a rule of thumb kind of thing but it looks like its a more of a personal preference thing.

The problem for me is that I have no experience of my own to fall back on before I lay out the cash.

Thanks for the replies guys, I should have guessed that it wasn't going to be clear cut. I was hoping for a rule of thumb kind of thing but it looks like its a more of a personal preference thing.

The problem for me is that I have no experience of my own to fall back on before I lay out the cash.

What sort of ranges and quarry will you be shooting at? The .177 has a slightly flatter trajectory, so if you're normally shooting at a one-inch kill zone, then it will hit the mark if you aim dead on from around 8 yards to 35 yards, if you zero at 13/30 yards. .22 yields a slightly loopier trajectory, but carries more energy downrange. Depends what suits your shooting best.

Is there an air rifle club near you where you could try out different rifles/calibres?

I'll be shooting rats, rabbits, squirrels and maybe the odd pidgy, usual stuff really, I think I'm leaning more towards the 177 but for no particular reason. I nip along to the gun show this weekend and see if someone will let me have a play.

I think there is at least one range fairly close by, which could be another option, I'll what happens over the weekend first.

Thanks all.

Hi Zlinuk

I'd definately give them both a go before parting with your hard earned cash. There is some excellent advice above. The difference is so small, its really down to the shooter. We all have our own preferences, but this is relative to ourselves and we, are not you.

Whatever calibre you go for, get a good reliable make. Have you thought about the model / manufacturer? PCP or spring? Scope?

• Like 2